ASUS P5Q Deluxe. Need a processor

parcou

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
New here and looking for some advice from the pros...

I was given an ASUS P5Q Deluxe motherboard as a trade...I plan to use it at home to replace my file server and all data will pull from this PC. All client PC's will pull documents, music, shares, etc. from here as it currently does now. The OS is Win 2003 Server. I do not have to run this OS but I like playing & learning new things so I will stay with it...

They threw in the trade:

- CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
- Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS Hard (will be my OS)
- 2x Western Digital Black WD1001FALS (will partition for my data...other one to backup the data drive)
- Sapphire Radeon HD4850 1GB video card
- Thermaltake cooler
- Processor ????????

All I need is a processor...I know a of a friend that has a P5Q (just the basic) with the:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz 45mn, 12MB Cache, 1333 Mhz FSB

Is this a good choice? If not in the Intel Core family what do you recommend? Since it is going to be a file server I thought the extra cache would be good for the background activities over the network as well as the normal processes on the server. Please advise...

-Parco

You don't need a high end cpu for a file server. You may want to conserve energy. I use a celeron 430 in one of my systems for surfing the net. It's more than adequate, and only uses 35 watts tops. Most of the dual cores are 65 watts. I would pick one like the e5400 or e7500 if you want dual core.

parcou

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I do plan to do more on it...you are right but I do sit there and run some high end apps like CS4, Corel, scanning documents which currently takes 100& of my processor...

During my search I see there are a lot of Q9550 users with the P5Q...want to have plent to play...