~1800 budget, looking for highest FP performance (MT code)

jasperjones

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Looking to build a system for scientific computing. Heavy number-crunching. Mostly floating-point calcs, think use of various numerical libraries that are heavily optimized and scale well (so even many cores can be utilized relatively efficiently). Nothing graphics-intensive, nothing too memory-intensive (although 6-8GB are required).

Trying to take the road of building it myself (no previous build experience). I know nobody that does that in my field so no point of reference (standard for people is: either they buy an off-the-shelf Dell/HP/Mac workstation or, if they're fortunate enough that their place has that--and they have can afford it--, they add to existing clusters).

Constraints are
- $1800 (bit of a odd number but that's what it is right now)
- I need to show a receipt for the thing (so, just to be on the safe side, no equipment that could be labeled as "for gamers")
- the desktop/workstation must fit into a small office, so standard tower I guess
- EDIT: components should work with modern Linux (no RHEL4/5 compatibility required but should run on recent plain-vanilla kernel speak 2.6.27 or later)

Can anybody get me started? Just on CPU and mobo? $1800 is a bit tight, stick to consumer-market components I suppose?

freezed1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Hi, welcome to TH, this is what i made for you, it has 2 x xeon processors, 1kw powersupply, 12gb ram, 2tb hdd....you can look at the list, the total comes to 1528 i believe, including case, videocard...and everything. The mobo is a dual processor.

cart2.jpg

gl

daship

Distinguished
Id recommend buying somthing built, for support/ warranty. You dont want to spend $1800 and get fired for getting somethng that has no warranty / support?

I can build you one for around $1500 with 3 year warranty and lifetime support, or check Dell/others.....

PM me if interested. I sell on Ebay all the time:)

jasperjones

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
@freezed: thanks a lot, this looks terrific.

one thing (I'll ask this in the memory forum if appropriate, sorry): I see the mobo also takes ECC memory and I see that many pre-configured Dells/HPs etc. come with ECC memory. two things: (i) is it better to take ECC? (ii) if yes, there's a huge range price-wise for ECC memory on Newegg. Some DDR3-1333 ECC are just $125 per 6GB (3 x 2GB) kit, others run $200+.

@daship: The whole point of entertaining the idea of building it myself is that the premium you pay for guaranteed next-business day service over 3 years is pretty steep. That's my assumption at least. I'm in academia, so there is no mission-critical software that's running. The personal risk I'm taking is that when the machine fails it pushes back the date at which I can complete research projects. The reason that nobody in my field builds their own is that I'm in a field that's relatively far away from computer science (I'm doing finance), so people generally lack the expertise.

freezed1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Hi, ECC simply has an additional chip on the stick that monitors/fixes/prevents memory bit errors. I dont think it will make a huge difference if you use ECC or not. but thats just my understanding. goodluck with your build =], you might want to get an opinon of some one who has actually used ECC, so far i have used regular modules :)

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
You don't need that high video card and extra sound card( but since it is free why not) for number crunching. Something like ATI Radeon HD 4650 for $50 will do job just fine.

But you might go for a bit faster CPU's, but performance does not increase linearly with price so if You want to save money E5504 is goodeal for price/performance.

No need for ECC memory if it is not mission-critical.

@freezed1:

1.OP doesn't need a heavy GPU. A 4670/4650 would be fine. Also no need for 1kW PSU.

2. The Antec PSU you listed dosen't have a 2x8pin CPU connector. It only has 1x4pin and 1x8 pin. The ASUS board needs 2x 8 pin CPU connectors.
2 x PSU Connector 24-pin ATX power connector + 8-pin ATX 12V (Support Both ATX & SSI Power Supply)**
Source: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=k81cpN8uEB01BpQ6
OP will either need to buy a Molex to 8 pin converter or buy a PSU with 2x 8 pin CPU.

@OP: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=267080&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=3&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
That's a build I did for CAD/CFD a while ago. Very smiler function to yours. Just swap out the board to the one listed by freezed1. Swap out the Antec PSU he listed to the PC Power PSU I used. You can also drop down the # of HDDs I used to save $$. HOWEVER, depending on what you want a SSD MAY give a performance boost if used as your OS drive. (If using SSD I recommend you use Reiser4). Also what distro? Fedora?SUSE, Solaris?

For scientific work (MATLAB,etc) ECC is a good idea.

freezed1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007

nice man, yes i was also wondering about the powersupply thingy. thx for letting him know abt the ECC memory ;)

There are two basic setups I would recommend:

1. Two Xeon 5520 CPUs and a lower-end TYAN or SuperMicro ATX dual LGA1366 board, 6x 2 GB DDR3-1066 registered server DIMMs.

2. Two six-core Opteron 2427s, a Tyan 2927-E (it's an ATX unit) and 4x 2 GB registered ECC DDR2-800 (not FB-DIMMS!).

You will want to get a 600 watt EPS12V power supply and a Radeon HD 4350 for either unit, plus an HDD of an adequate size and an ATX mid-tower computer case. A 600 W PSU should be plenty for that setup and a Radeon HD 4350 plays nicely with Linux for 2D work right out of the box and is all of the power you need for non-gaming uses. You will have to buy heatsinks for either setup as no dual-socket server CPUs ship with heatsinks. I'd look carefully at heatsinks as most server heatsinks are noisier than anything and you probably will PO your coworkers if you get a typical 60 mm unit with a 5000-rpm fan.

Both the six-core Opteron 2427 and quad-core Xeon E5520 setups will work well for your uses. The Opterons are a tad more expensive ($450 each vs. $385 each) but you get 12 cores rather than 8 in a dual-socket setup and that should give you a bit more performance. I wouldn't look at the less-expensive Xeon E5504 and E5506 as they have half of the L3 cache disabled, are limited to 4.8 GT/sec QPI link speed, are limited to DDR2-800, and lack HyperThreading (which is generally good for a ~15% performance boost in multithreaded situations) and Turbo Boost. Intel actually said in one of their
blogs
that the E5504 and -06 were not that great of a CPU- buy the E5520 instead. If you are really strapped for cash, getting a pair of 2.4 GHz quad-core Opteron 2378s for $180 each wouldn't be bad at all, although it would be noticeably slower than the six-core Opteron 2427 or Xeon E5520.