kingkung

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
why would you want to unclock? wouldn't it be more economical to just buy a cheap slow processor? I don't mean to be a jerk.

Not neccessarily. Suppose you want to build a really quiet, pure HTPC. All you need to do is build it just fast enough to render audio and video. Slower mean less heat and power. That means you can get by with a fanless, or nearly fanless, design.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Fanless sounds interesting I might try underclock on my laptop because it runs hot.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Well that's not nice at all...

TBH, I actually underclock for the fun of it. I underclocked my GPU to reference (675MHz) just to see how silent it could go, and it was amazing. CPU I want to try still, see how cool I can get it with my Hyper 212+ cooler.

Dude that's something else I can try before I upgrade! Cool idea! Also, underclocking is something I'll recommend my friend, who has one of these extreme Asus ROG i7 gaming laptops, paid like $5500 for the thing. Run so hot, the exhaust air literally burns you when you hold your arm against the exhaust. It's incredibly hot, never thought a laptop can get that hot!