Sign in with
Your question

~$200 Quiet Case for 24/7 Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
March 9, 2011 6:16:27 PM

Well I'm starting out to make my next rig and so far I have just about nothing concrete but I'm thinking about waiting for Bulldozer Black Series because I'm not the biggest of Sandy Bridge.

Obviously I'm looking to overclock but it's going to be a 24/7 machine so I need something that will keep it cool all the time.
Also, I am a video editor who works out of my house and I'm not going to buy multiple computers so this will also be part home theater and part gaming rig. However, because it will be in my office/bedroom I really would prefer it to be very quiet when it's not under 100% load and hopefully not too loud then.

Water cooling is probably too expensive for me. My budget is roughly $1300 so I will be spending ~$250 on a processor, ~$40 heat sink, ~$250 on a video card (with SLI/CrossFireX in the near future), ~$200 mobo, ~$100 RAM, ~$120 power supply, `$100 on HHDs
This leaves me ~$200 for a case.

I was thinking the Lian Li PC-B25S

I'm just looking for some support on this one or another direction.
Also I do like the eSATA and USB3.0 on the case but it's not a must but I'm not really a fan of the bottom PSU but I can live with it.

Any help would be great!
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2011 6:38:50 PM

go on new egg search computer cases, type in full tower under results search. check out the sale on the nzxt and they have a decent coolermaster also.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 9:15:56 AM

Water cooling is the mos silent, by far. $200 is too much for a mobo, you'll need about $150 for a decent AMD board when Bulldozer gets released, you'll see! Add the money saved from the mobo to your case/cooling combo and get a big silent case with water cooling. Best performance, lowest noise, exactly what you want.
m
l
Related resources
a c 125 K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 2:07:49 PM

For good info on quiet computing and components, bo to www.silentpcreview.com.

Here is a link to the best cases:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page5.html

I have used the Antec Solo before, several times, and it is one of my all time favorite cases.
If there is any drawback, you will be limited to a pair of 10" graphics cards unless you do a small mod to the drive cage, in which case a GTX580 at 10.5" will fit.

Bulldozer is rumored to launch in June. If your apps are able to take advantage of 6+ cores, then it might be good. If your apps are dependent on individual core compute power, you might do better with sandy bridge. Historically, Intel is 15-30% faster on a clock for clock basis than AMD.Today, the sb 2600 at stock competes with the i7-980X at 1/3 the price. Nothing from amd today comes close in performance. Amd makes a decent competitive value because of pricing

If your app is constrained by the hard drive, look into using a ssd. At least look at a ssd for boot and OS.
Also, the Z68 chipset will launch, which will give you SSD cacheing. Read about it here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68-express-lucidlo...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 2:49:54 PM

If you do video transcoding, you might want to reconsider Sandy Bridge, just because of QuickSync:
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 4:01:17 PM

Zenthar said:
If you do video transcoding, you might want to reconsider Sandy Bridge, just because of QuickSync:
<picture thing>

Quite impressive, honestly! :o 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 4:03:33 PM

z68 chipset for sandy will be in stores soon
m
l
March 10, 2011 4:49:58 PM

Zenthar said:
http://media.bestofmicro.com/A/Z/284219/original/MediaEspresso.png

I have looked at that but I use Adobe's Mercury thing that uses GPU acceleration which will blow past QuickSync with videos over 20min.
But I do see a good point you have so I'm just hoping AMD has done something similar because I'm not happy with Intel as of now.

I was hoping not to get SB because I'm not a big fan of my current i7 and I'm just waiting for BD, that doesn't mean that I will get that, I just want to make sure I don't buy a SB right before possibly something better comes.
That being said, i do like the i5-2500K or whatever it is (I'm just guessing at the numbers). I really like the core unlock on any processor.

Also another reason why I wanted a AMD over an Intel is that for whatever reason (must be power saving) Intel chip go crazy up and down with voltages when under a high load. I saw some tests somewhere to prove this but I don't remember. Anyway, while rendering in After Effects, I get really frustrated with my video jumping all over the place on my machine but the same clip will run fine on my finalizing tower (which has AMD).

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I just want to try something different for my everyday and work computer since I've had Intel since the beginning of time.

Thanks for the input guys this is going to help a lot!

EDIT: Also remember the test that was done by Tom's on QuickSync used consumer products (such as MediaEspresso) to transcode video to some useful format (ie, iPod MP4, AVI, etc) I design DVD menus and finalize the disk so I am suck using Adobe Media Encoder (which likes to use CUDA) to encode to DVD MPEG-2s and occasionally to BD H.264. If QuickSync can be utilized with AME or for unuseful formats then maybe I'll be stuck with Intel and SB.

EDIT 2: I've read though this a few times and I think that I misinformed everyone.
I have 3 other computers, one with that stupid extreme core i7 than our tech guy build for me (rubbish) and two Quattros in SLI, another with a C2D which will become my media server, and an AMD based finalizing tower (AMD because it has more FSB bandwidth for its 12 DVD drives)
So the computer I'm building will be used for some video editing but it will not be my powerful computer (I just choose not to go to my office sometimes and have to use my own computer)
So mainly this computer will probably be recording TV and playing my Blu-Ray collection plus some gaming.

This is a nearing a novel; sorry for the long post fellas!
m
l
!