What do you think the problem is..?

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
hello, ive been using e4400 cpu for about 2 years now.. with p35 ds3l mobo
it never had problem with overheating. im using rosewill heatpipe cooler.
when i first bought it, it could handle 3.23 OC from 2.0 with max temp of 68( this was until spring) with rosewill paste

about beginning of the summer, i cleaned up my pc, i reapplied grease as same way as i did before (same paste)
thin layer of paste spread all over the heat spreader of the cpu

i never thought of change in temperature since nothing was changed, i double checked all cables and heatsink was properly seated. ( no way a season change make this big change cua room temp is always about 75-80

few days ago, i checked my temp on speed fan while playing game, and it was 90C, i also went into bios and saw it was about 80C(not a peak mode of cpu)

it idles about 65C few min after boot. i touched the heatsink, and it was little warm, not so close to 60C

so i assumed that i should apply the paste again, but same result.. i thought there is noway this paste is causing this, because it worked fine before summer.

but just in case i bought artic silver 5 and applied it. but only 3-4 C cooler, its still around mid 85 when playing games. fans rotating fine with controller . (fan speed doesnt affect the temp alot, only 5 degrees. from 1100rpm to 2100rpm 92MM

i reseated and reapplied paste many times, it does not change anything.

i also tried different coolers, stock cooler which i used long time ago, remembering that max at 2.0 was 45C
but now its max is 64 at 2.0 (no overclock)

so now im thinking something must be wrong with cpu
what do you think the problem is??
(i know how to apply thermal grease properly)
btw sorry for making u read this boring long story.

freezed1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Hi, did you apply enough thermalpaste for contact? How about your cpu fan speed? is it set at 100%? Also did your ambient temps change in any way? Also is it possible you are sending way 2 many volts to your cpu? i had an e4500 before @ 3.5ghz and it was doing 60C under prime 95 and that chip was also 2 years old. I have a theory but it can be wrong. I believe you tightened your Cpu cooler a lot, which caused warping to the motherboard and now after two years you might have bad contact between your cpu and your cooler. I would say try changing your cooler but i dont know how much that would help. also it could be that your cpu temp sensor has gone bad, can you feel your ambient room temp go up because of a hotter pc?If your pc is doing 80-90 you should feel your room temp go up. check your case temp if you can with a thermometer.

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
yeah just about right amount.

well i said already the fan speed doesnt affect much, but it is setted at 100% with my controller

i have 1.39 when OCed to 3.23 from 2.0 but its now 2.0 with vcore 1.15 max is 63, was 45 before

my cooler is not a screw holder, it has push pins like stock fan.

when i play games, heatsink gets pretty hot too,

strange thing is 2.0 idles at 55 and max at 63, not much difference.. as before 29 and 45

bigpoppastuke

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Ive been having the same issues myself with my e6600. I have no idea what it was. Im on watercooling. Used to get (Stock)24'C - 32'C(Load). Now im getting 39'C - 43'C(load). And my motherboard temps are around 50'C. Makes no sense that the temperature would go up so little under full load. Took motherboard apart cleaned up old thermal paste. Cleaned out my watercooling loop. Reapplied Arctic Silver thermal grease to NB, SB, and CPU. Still damn hot. Airflow is always cold air. Infact it makes me cold sometimes :(

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007

wow that is exactly what is happening to me!!

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
i always had same case with same fans so = same airflow as before when temps were good

it might be the sensors, but if its not. what is it!! haha

btw my cooler is very clean

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
are cpu temp sensors on the mobo, or in cpu itself??

i might switch cpu and cooler to different mobo if i have time, and see what the bios and other softwares say about the temp