Sign in with
Your question

Laptop will not connect to router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 26, 2009 8:51:23 AM

Gateway laptop model ML3109. I had to reformat the hard drive. Now the laptop will not always connect to the netgear WGT624 router. Example, 4:00am it will connect ok. At 3:00 pm it will only connect with limited capabilities (no internet access). The unit was ok before the reformat. Any ideas what could be wrong?

More about : laptop connect router

December 26, 2009 8:54:20 AM

monza9 said:
Gateway laptop model ML3109. I had to reformat the hard drive. Now the laptop will not always connect to the netgear WGT624 router. Example, 4:00am it will connect ok. At 3:00 pm it will only connect with limited capabilities (no internet access). The unit was ok before the reformat. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Forgot to add other laptops in the house have no probles connecting at any time.
m
l
January 2, 2010 5:02:24 PM

It is actually connecting or just trying to? If you lost your WEP key during the format, your computer will still see the WAP and try to connect, albeit it will fail. If the only thing that changed was your format, try to make sure your settings are correct.. IE, the wep strength, the password, and any other applicable information.

And as a side note.. My wifi card in my laptop coincidently died around the time of a format, so I thought the format did it too... until I tried another operating system as well and realized my card was infact fried.. If you are 100% sure your settings are correct on your router and wifi card, maybe the card died..

Formatting your PC doesn't affect your router..

To summarize.. Either you messed up the Laptops connections, or the card died.. Goodluck!
m
l
Related resources
!