Dell T7500 will not start after memory upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpvs01

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I added 4 x 1GB memory to my Dell T7500 workstation (to go from 6GB to 10 GB). After installing the memory (following the manual's installation instructions), the computer would power-up but not boot. I took the new memory out, but the computer still would not boot.
I cleared the CMOS settings and the problem remained. I did the same operation again, but this time I also took the MOBO battery out for about 20 seconds. Now the computer will not power-up.

The original memory is Elpida PC3-8500 (1066Mhz) 240 pin DDR3 ECC.
The brand of the new memory I received is Centon.
On my order info, the description is exactly the same as above, with CCY added to it (I have no clue what CCY means and can't find it on the web). On the memory sticks, the description is LCPMC1G/DREC3-1066.

I hope I gave enough info.
Thanks!

Solution
G
I have now seeminlgy resolved the problem.

It wasn't the RAM modules, but the CPU2 riser card. Removed CPU2 riser card, cleaned connectors and reseated the riser card. Machine now appears ok.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Is the new memory registered or unbuffered? My guess at this point is that you are mixing the two types (there is both registered and unbuffered ECC memory). I can't find any info on the Centon so its a bit hard to troubleshoot.

rpvs01

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
The original memory I have is unbuffered (ECC).
The new memory I got is ECC (not registered), according to the order I placed and the delivery info.
But I can't confirm this by the code that's actually on the memory stick. I also couldn't find this code anywhere on the web or on the Centon web site, as you have experienced.
What's surprising is that when I take those new sticks out and use only my original memory, the computer still will not boot (it wasn't starting at all, but it does now, after taking some memory out).
According to the Dell diagnostic lights (in the manual), this is caused by bad memory. But I tried first with only two sticks in (one in the motherboard, one in the riser, each at slot 1), then replaced these two sticks with two of the others. The computer is only two months old, so all the sticks can't be bad. Then I went to 4 GB (two in the MOBO, two on the riser, each at slot 1 and 2). Still no boot.
Usually when I start this machine, the fans go on for about 15 seconds and then it becomes very quiet, but now the fans are running non-stop. And nothing on the monitor.

G

It wasn't the RAM modules, but the CPU2 riser card. Removed CPU2 riser card, cleaned connectors and reseated the riser card. Machine now appears ok.

Solution

rpvs01

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

Yes, that's what solved the problem for me.
I had a Dell tech come over (I have a maintenance plan), and afterwards brought it to a shop and both couldn't solve the problem.
It's by watching what they did and didn't do that I found the solution.
The shop almost had it but put the memory sticks back in the wrong order.

Dell really should know about this. Their tech had no clue.
Congratulations for finding on your own!

For anyone else who has this problem here is the link to the manual's page to remove the heat sink and dual processor:
http://support.ap.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/wsT7500/en/sm/td_procr.htm

G

I was pretty close to sending the machine back to Dell as it appeared pretty much like a terminal failure. I'm glad I persevered, even if I did lose almost a whole day.

Status
Not open for further replies.