Sign in with
Your question

Phenom ii 1090T with liquid cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
March 10, 2011 1:51:03 AM

Hello, I have been irrationally scared of overclocking since I have never done it before. The Cpu

currently runs at its stock 3.2Ghz. In normal use, the CPU doesn't go beyond 24*C. The highest it has

gone, when playing Crysis @ Max settings, 8x AA, 1920x1080... (no bragging intended ;) , was 32*.

The low temperatures are because of the Koolance Exos LT liquid cooling system I found in the discard

pile in my workplace. I saw that people were able to overclock the CPU to 4ghz with the stock fan, How

high can I OC with my new cooling?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 5:19:25 AM

Using someone else's settings for overclocking is not a good idea. Every piece has it's own personality and even CPU's that are 1 serial number apart "will not" OC the same.

To better help you please list you set-up's components
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2011 11:31:39 PM

was about to do that:
phenom ii 1090T 3.2 (duhh)
AMD radeon 6970
ASRock890FX Deluxe3
G.Skill 16GB 1600mhz ddr3
1000W raidmax (I heard that they're crap) PSU

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 12:05:04 AM

I wouldn't use the settings nate supplied above.He's using the FSB settings which change the settings for everything and it's a bit more delicate,espically for a first time Overclocker.
Since you have a Black Edition proccessor it's very simple.All you do is increase the CPU mulitiplier and gradually increase the voltage.The max temp for the 1090T is 62c so make sure you don't exceed that temp.Although i'm sure you won't even come close with the cooling setup your running.
I would reccomend setting the CPU voltage to around 1.5 and the multiplier to x22 or x20.Whichever one gets to 4ghz.This is just an estimate but it's to test to see if your going to need more voltage or not at 4ghz.Try those at and run some stress test to see if it holds.
m
l
March 11, 2011 12:40:43 AM

thank you for the advice, should I use AMD's tools or the overclocking options in my BIOS?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 12:48:24 AM

I'm sorry the settings I provided are reference. I recommend reading the overclock guide that has been posted for your CPU. That way u will learn.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 1:36:06 AM

Thats okay.I was just saying for a first time overclocker he shouldn't use the FSB settings.Way to complicated.It is a good reference tho,i'm sure he;ll check back after he's figured it out.

It's ok to use both,AMD Overdrive or thru the BIOS,but personally i liek the BIOS.It's much easier and you don't have to load the settings everytime.One thing you can do with AMD Overdrive is test out some settings you want to try,stress test them,if they hold put them in thru the BIOS.After that Uninstall AMD Overdrive.
m
l
March 11, 2011 1:57:57 AM

So I increase voltage and frequency in manual increments, right? Or does the bios do that by itself (slowly increasing in small increments)?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 2:40:26 AM

Yes,manual increments.
To start,you can get around a 300-400mhz bump from default clocks before having to up the voltage(So you should start adding voltage after 3.5ghz or 3.6ghz).I would suggest uping the voltage by .25 every 200mhz.It's a long process but it's nessesary,everytime you up the voltage and clock speeds make sure you run a quick stress test for about 10 mins to see if it holds.If it does then keep going.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 3:00:25 AM

The BIOS will increase CPU voltage if left on Auto, so you are going to need to hard-set it. I would recommend starting at or below 1.45v, then stress to see how your temps. look.

Having 16GB of memory can make OC'ing difficult, if not impossible. It puts a lot of strain on the IMC (Integrated MEMORY Controller). To help overcome this you may to set the NB (North Bridge) voltage to at least 1.25v

Not knowing the exact G.Skill modules your using, I can't tell you what voltage to set them at. It's best if you set them to manufactures specs.

You will also need to set the timings. For this you may want to start with looser timings then what they are rated for. I would start with 9-9-9-24 2T, just to keep your memory from being a limiting factor. (Later on you can dial them in, if you feel the need).

PS: I could only find 1 reputable review on the Raidmax 1000 and it was not at a site I personally use for finding information on testing performance. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/02/23/raidmax_rx100...
m
l
March 19, 2011 4:41:52 PM

purple stank said:
I wouldn't use the settings nate supplied above.He's using the FSB settings which change the settings for everything and it's a bit more delicate,espically for a first time Overclocker.
Since you have a Black Edition proccessor it's very simple.All you do is increase the CPU mulitiplier and gradually increase the voltage.The max temp for the 1090T is 62c so make sure you don't exceed that temp.Although i'm sure you won't even come close with the cooling setup your running.
I would reccomend setting the CPU voltage to around 1.5 and the multiplier to x22 or x20.Whichever one gets to 4ghz.This is just an estimate but it's to test to see if your going to need more voltage or not at 4ghz.Try those at and run some stress test to see if it holds.

I was told to do it right you need to raise all freq and then once you have the desired level lowering the voltages till windows doesn’t boot anymore, and then when that happens, raising the voltages slightly and then its stable. Not using BCLK and CPU multiplyiers etc and then up all the voltages.

is it just better that way to have it stable?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2011 5:09:27 PM

I think it's easier just to go to 4ghz and then apply voltage to get stability.Once you have that locked in you can move on.Saves time going to a set number so you don't have to keep booting and loading each time to stress test each mhz.This way your just doing voltage.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 20, 2011 12:27:48 AM

That's part of the fun of OC'ing, everybody has a little different method.

I try to find the most voltage my heatsink will allow my CPU to stay cool at within spec. (I up the multiplier a couple of notches ie...x18 @3600). Run a stress test for 20mins. or so while watching temps. Then start raising the multiplier until it will no longer Boots. Next I start backing down the multiplier until stable.

After finding a stable multiplier, I start dropping it one notch at a time and running up the FSB to dial in my memory.
m
l
March 20, 2011 6:56:59 PM

considering how general my question is, I'll just do my own research and ask more specific questions later. I would like to thank you all for your invaluable advice.
m
l
!