Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B cooler with ASUS P67 / LGA1155 motherboard

GBPackerNut

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
I am wondering, has anyone used the Mugen2 RevB cooler on a ASUS LGA1155 mobo?

Any problems? have not been able to see much on it yet, but it seemed somewhere, someone mentioned a problem with the backplate and or memory spacing...

Thanks

If you don't have all the dimms filled and buy a 2X4GB kit you'll be fine.
Just don't buy Vengeance ram it's tall,get Ripjaws.
Otherwise if you want to fill all the dimms and use a Mugen 2 you have to buy standard profile ram 30mm tall or XMS3 33mm tall.
A 212+ is slightly less effective at cooling but would more then likely fit ram 41mm tall with all dimms filled.

GBPackerNut

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Yeah, I have a set of GSkill RipJaws 4Gx2 (8G total)..
Basically, I have everything but the motherboard and a cooler, well I have the stock intel cooler...

I like the Mugen, but its sheer size concerns me, but then I also came across the Prolimatech Megahalems, and that is one sexy cooler! I just cant stomach dropping that much on a cooler though, especially when I probably wont be overclocking that much if at all.

I really love the way the Megahalems attaches to the motherboard, it looks like a real engineer designed that mount, unlike some of the other crap on the market.

FirstTimeCompBuilder

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I have had my eye on the Megahalems myself. We both have the same G-skill Ram so we're in the same boat. I did just pick up my MOBO ASUS P8P67 standard. I didnt have any need for the pro since i wont be Xfire/SLIing.

Does anybody have any experience with the Ptech Megahalems with G-skill ram and 1155 MOBO's?

Guys the width of the cooler will determine ram compatibility.
The dimensions of a P67 and a P55 board layout are basically the same.
P67's use the same mounting holes as 1156 did.
So basically whatever anyone used on their 1156's is gonna work on a P67.
Excluding goofy tall ram which is a problem on any platform.
The Mugen 2 has always been challenging to install and works best with low profile ram especially if you plan on filling all the dims.
Otherwise it fine if you plan on using only 2 dimms.
Ripjaws X is the same height as the previous version 41mm tall.
You can fill all dimms with Ripjaws and use a Megahalems.74mm wide
An Armageddon is even better 50mm wide.
Measure the centre point of the socket to first dimm.

FirstTimeCompBuilder

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
well thanks for the info Davcon.

Just picked up teh Prolimatech Megahalems to go with my ASUS P8P67, G-skill Ripjaw and i5 2500k setup.

Should have it by next week. If you haven't decided by then Packers, i'll post up some pics for you to see.

D

Deleted member 217926

I have a Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B and Ripjaws X memory and it fits fine.
However I have a Gigabyte board. I am pretty sure there is at least 1 Asus board with a bracket issue.

GBPackerNut

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
After digging deep enough, I figured out the Deluxe and EVO models are the two that have a interference issue with the backplate.
There is a heatsink on the motherboard that interferes with the mounting.

The p8p67, p8p67 LE and p8p67 PRO are fine.

D

Deleted member 217926

Nice find! Glad someone finally figured this out.