Sign in with
Your question

Hey guys new computer, hard drive question

Last response: in Storage
January 3, 2011 8:33:12 PM

Hey guys i just put my first computer together today. The one problem im having is when it boots up says cant find disk drive, when i did the boot from hard drive it just said sata blah blah blah or whatever. I got everything up and running windows, internet etc, but the bootup thing saying no disk drive im not sure what that means. Was i supposed to format my drive since its new? Now that i have everything up and running should i worry about that saying this everytime i start up my pc?

The only reason why i thought the format thing i saw another post saying this but, my drive seems to be working besides saying that when the computer first starts.

please help
a b G Storage
January 3, 2011 8:48:35 PM

The bios probably thinks it has a floppy drive. Go into the bios and turn off any floppy drive support.
m
l
January 3, 2011 9:01:52 PM

how would i do that?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 3, 2011 9:21:19 PM

I don't mean to be rude, but my general policy is if you don't know how to get into the bios you shouldn't be in there.

Seeing as its pretty simple to reset a bios I'll risk it. BEFORE you do anything make sure you know how to reset your bios. Should be a matter of removing the coin battery found on the motherboard, or moving a jumper near it. Every bios is different so I'm not sure where it is, but usually the floppy info can be found on the first screen or menu choice. Arrow over to it and turn it off/none. You can usually enter your bios by hitting delete, F2, or F10 when it first boots up. From a cold computer, turn on the monitor, and then the tower. When its checking the ram start pressing the button. You might want to watch the boot screen to see if it says what button to press.
m
l
a c 115 G Storage
January 4, 2011 1:08:14 AM

Nels84 said:
how would i do that?

Read the MoBo manual yet ? Look in the BIOS section.

Start the computer

When ya see the screen say to hit a key to get into the BIOS hit that key

Look for boot priority and set it according to your desires.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 4, 2011 1:23:23 AM

Hi nels84
Is important to know what kind of computer you have
here are how to get it to the bios computer

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

please donĀ“t make changes if you are not sure.
read more information about bios
m
l
January 4, 2011 4:41:46 AM

lol i know how to get into bios i meant where would i go to see the floppy i dont see one in bios
m
l
a b G Storage
January 4, 2011 6:04:11 AM

Quote:
Every bios is different so I'm not sure where it is, but usually the floppy info can be found on the first screen or menu choice.

m
l
!