Xp alternate boot device

billGibb

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
My cdrom drive has disappeared from the alternate boot device list which my PC displays when I press F12 during boot process. However the cdrom is accessible for normal read/write activity. It is an ATA/IDE drive and currently is the only device on the second IDE cable. I've tried it at both positions on the cable with the same result. Until this week there was an HDD in the 1st position but it went bad on me and now there is an open position on the cable. Up until then I never had a problem specifiying the cdrom on the alternate boot device list. I need the capability because from time to time I have to restore Ghost images and to do a complete restore I have to boot GHOST from its CD.

The PC is an IBM ThinkCentre.

Any help is appreciated.

Bill G

Solution
Check the jumper on the back of CDROM drive. I assume this is caused by being set to Cable Select mode. You can set it to Slave and put the Slave side of cable in, so you won't have problems with a new HD set as Master on same cable.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Check the jumper on the back of CDROM drive. I assume this is caused by being set to Cable Select mode. You can set it to Slave and put the Slave side of cable in, so you won't have problems with a new HD set as Master on same cable.

Solution