Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Esata to USB3 cable or converter

Last response: in Storage
January 3, 2011 11:52:18 PM

I have a computer with several esata ports. I also have a couple of external USB 3.0 hard drives. I do not have any computers that support USB3, and do not want to install an addon card at this point in time.

Is a cable or adapter available that will enable me to connect my USB3 external hard drive to my esata port and get something resembling USB3 (or sata) speed?
a c 143 G Storage
January 4, 2011 1:08:31 AM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware!!

You can get a USB 3.0 to eSATA Adapter and that should do the trick. You shouldn't have any real performance loss by doing so.
Score
January 4, 2011 1:23:20 PM

tecmo34 said:
Welcome to Tom's Hardware!!

You can get a USB 3.0 to eSATA Adapter and that should do the trick. You shouldn't have any real performance loss by doing so.

I've seen those, but I would be using it in reverse - I have esata ports and external USB3 devices. Would it still work?
Score
Related resources
a c 143 G Storage
January 4, 2011 2:46:07 PM

No... I don't think they will work in reverse. Sorry... Read wrong :( 

What is your external hard drive, so I can see how it is connected from the hard drive to PC (type of cable used), as I'm not seeing anything in reverse but might take two adapters or something to get it to work?
Score
January 4, 2011 3:15:17 PM

Here's the drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's a 3TB external Western Digital My Book. I have estata ports available and am looking for a means of getting the USB3 speed without installing a card.

I would imagine that many folks are in my same situation, since most computers don't have USB3 built in, yet I still have not been able to find the adapter or cable I need. Thanks.
Score
January 18, 2011 3:37:25 PM

Does anyone have any additional information that might help me address this issue? I am following up because I have not received a solution - possibly there is no solution...
Score
January 27, 2011 11:40:58 PM

I have received an email from Tom's Hardware saying...

"If you did not get the answer you were seeking, we suggest that you add details to your question. By doing so, you will get renewed attention to your issue."

I have not received a solution, possibly because there isn't any. Since I last posted, I have spent some time looking for a means of connection my USB3 external hard drives to my eSata port, and have found nothing.
Score
June 16, 2011 2:11:08 PM

I appreciate the heads up, but it is still backwards. I have computers with eSata ports, and I have external USB3 hard drives. The product you reference connects the opposite way...you need a computer with USB3, and external devices with eSata.
Score
June 16, 2011 9:07:27 PM

dwess said:
I appreciate the heads up, but it is still backwards. I have computers with eSata ports, and I have external USB3 hard drives. The product you reference connects the opposite way...you need a computer with USB3, and external devices with eSata.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried one of the devices in the 'backward' mode? I don't know how many people need this, but I'm at least one more. Thanks for asking the question.
Score
June 22, 2011 10:10:51 AM

Did you manage to find a solution to your problem?
As i have the exact same situation a eSATA port on laptop amd a USB 3 hard drive
Score
June 27, 2011 1:42:27 PM

ramboss said:
Did you manage to find a solution to your problem?
As i have the exact same situation a eSATA port on laptop amd a USB 3 hard drive

I have still not found a solution, and have not tried the 'backwards' option
Score
August 16, 2011 1:23:17 PM

I believe this is the 'reverse option' we have been discussing. You need several components, and we are not sure it will work. As far as I know, no one has tried it. Please, as you indicated, it is expensive.
Score
September 2, 2011 6:08:10 AM

It should work just fine "backwards" ...

You won't get USB 3.0 speed, but you should get eSATA speed which is a close second.

Score
September 5, 2011 8:50:43 PM

It's highly unlikely any of these will work "backwards". The best solution might be to pull the HDDs out of your current external enclosures and put them in a cheap eSATA enclosure. This would of course void the warranty on the HDDs, but that may not matter to you. It's too bad no manufacturers are currently making a "reverse" USB 3.0 to eSATA adapter.
Score
September 13, 2011 2:00:33 PM

I believe I found what the OP was looking for:

StarTech.com SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to eSATA Cable Adapter

http://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/3ft-SuperSpeed-USB...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=usb3s2esata&oe...

--
I myself am seeking something quite similar, but doubtful it could exist... what I need is the same thing as this, but SATA2 to USB3 mini (type B)... I guess this very cable adapter linked above could be customized.

afa as the other solutions in reverse... if eSATA cables and USB3 cables are both directional agnostic (cables can flip... either same connector on both sides, or gender-switchers, or extension cables), then I can't see why gender-switchers for connectors can't be added at will. My guess is it would work, but not worth the cost to test :/ 
Score
September 13, 2011 2:29:06 PM

Quote:

This solution will not work. These adapters definitely only work one way: connecting an external eSATA device to a USB3 host device (i.e. a computer). It seems there is currently no solution for the reverse.
Score
September 15, 2011 12:05:10 AM

m4cph1sto said:
Quote:

This solution will not work. These adapters definitely only work one way: connecting an external eSATA device to a USB3 host device (i.e. a computer). It seems there is currently no solution for the reverse.

Sadly, it does appear that you are correct.
Score
September 24, 2011 8:36:11 PM

Hi,

USB : Power + Data
eSata : Data only

USB3 -> eSata is Possible but how can anyone make a connector to do the reverse conversion without giving a power supply line somewhere ?
Score
October 18, 2011 8:29:40 PM

gravemind said:
Hi,

USB : Power + Data
eSata : Data only

USB3 -> eSata is Possible but how can anyone make a connector to do the reverse conversion without giving a power supply line somewhere ?

The USB power line is not essential to provide power to 3.5" external storage drives, as these are powered already. The kind of adapter under discussion sounds like a versatile and likely cheap way of interfacing PCs without USB 3.0 sockets to an external and powered storage device with a USB 3.0 interface.

An eSATA socket backplate costs next to nothing and takes only a minute to install in a desktop PC. It connects by cable simply to any SATA motherboard socket.

Using the type of adapter being discussed, you could connect a USB 3.0 (400MB/s theoretically) external drive to an eSata socket running at SATA II (300MB/s theoretically) or SATA III (600MB/s theoretically) speeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata
Score
November 6, 2011 10:38:45 AM

hello, i am in the same situation, i have a WD 1T my passport wich has a micro usb3 port on it, and comes with a cable witch has usb3 male on one side and micro usb3 male on the other, and all i have on my laptop is a Esata, usb2, and fireWire ports.

the cable/ adapter i belive is needed, is a usb3 female on one side and a Esata male on the other...
the closest thing is the :

NewerTech eSATA to USB 3.0 Adapter
http://www.newertech.com/products/esatatousb3.php

but youll need to buy a Esata male to Esata male cable:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=esata+esata+ca...
Score
November 20, 2011 1:44:35 AM

Hi Zaruc,

This looks good, have you tried and can you confirm that this is working. I do have the same drive and looking for the similar option. Please confirm whether the option you have mentioned is tried and working good.

Thanks,
Bala
Score
November 22, 2011 7:27:43 AM

Read the small note, it will NOT work in reverse, this is for a eSata drive to connect to a USB 3.0 computer
Score
December 17, 2011 3:02:21 AM

I find myself in a similar situation to many pre-USB 3.0 high end laptop owners. My laptop has an eSATA port on it, and I have a newer external hard drive that supports USB 3.0. As such I am looking for a cable to go from the eSATA port on my laptop to the micro B male USB 3.0 port on my new external hard drive.

While NewerTech and SIIG make the eSATA (hard drive side) to USB 3.0 (PC side) Adapter, myself, and many other users I have seen online, need the reverse solution, USB 3.0 (hard drive side) to eSATA (PC side) Adapter.

Does anyone make this product yet? Has anyone here found a solution yet that doesn't other then adding USB 3.0 ports to your PC using an expansion card or buying a bulky USB 3.0 express card to add the ports to a laptop?
Score
January 18, 2012 5:02:34 PM

Most laptops have an Express Card Slot. You can buy an Express Card Slot USB 3.0 adapter which will allow you to use your USB 3.0 external device at Super 3.0 speeds via this adapter. Hope this helps!
Score
January 19, 2012 2:51:51 AM

I know this sounds crazy guys, but if you look at the bottom side of an esata connector it is 4 pins. Just do me a favor, and trust me. make sure the esata port is enabled in BIOS, then plug the USB cable from your external HDD into the esata port. If it ddoesn't fit the way you are plugging it in, flip it around. It will work just fine. esata works its magic running half a USB bus. Speeds won't quite be USB 3.0 but it gives you extra USB ports.

Had a guy show me that, and I said, "wow, I do have a use for esata afterall." You can actually use it to power a USB device as well. Crazy, huh??

Phil

MCITP, A+, Net+
Score
January 21, 2012 2:16:27 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!