Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which PSU to get need some urgent advice

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
August 15, 2009 6:01:20 PM

right parents are finally going to let my build a pc
i am going with

i7 920
ASUS R2E
antec 1200
2x500gb raid 0
3 x 1024mb ddr3 g skull 1066ghz
sapphire hd 3650
samsung burner

i now parts of this computer can easily be improved but cannot afford it plan to upgrade pits over the next 6 - 12 months

i.e gpu, ram

was wondering which psu to get, as i too a budget would be great if it was cheap only needs to last for 1 year max,
(i am going to o.c so wll reqiure high amps+volts)

did an online calculator came to 515w including O.C

which psu would you recomend a couple so i could make a choice but some advice would be great

More about : psu urgent advice

a c 248 ) Power supply
August 15, 2009 6:10:07 PM

A high quality 500 - 550 watt power supply can easily power a single video card.

What is your spending limit for a power supply? What country? Are you planning on a future upgrade with two video cards in your system?
August 15, 2009 6:20:07 PM

uk, maxium £50 but i now thats streching it i don't have to pay tax as can offset it aggest dad's buisness
when it comes to future upgrade i will just get a new power supply i am only trying to get something for a the moment
Related resources
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
August 15, 2009 6:31:53 PM

Oscarjw said:
uk, maxium £50 but i now thats streching it i don't have to pay tax as can offset it aggest dad's buisness
when it comes to future upgrade i will just get a new power supply i am only trying to get something for a the moment


Hi, I currently own the 600W OCZ PSU that I purchased of ebuyer for I think £60 (including PnP/VAT)

The rig I'm running the PSU on as follows:

- Q6600
- 4GB DDR2 800Mhz Crucial (2x2GB)
- 8800GT 512MB

What you need to tell us is what GPU you are planning on getting. My GPU sucks out a good 175W's on normal load.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127861

If your planning on getting an 8800GT or equivalent, then a 600W PSU should be fine for your system.

But anything more then the following will underload. You will need a good 700W+ PSU for a rig like yours with a very high end GPU like the GX2xx series cards etc.

Hope this helps.
August 15, 2009 6:35:48 PM

Quote:
Hi, I currently own the 600W OCZ PSU that I purchased of ebuyer for I think £60 (including PnP/VAT)

The rig I'm running the PSU on as follows:

- Q6600
- 4GB DDR2 800Mhz Crucial (2x2GB)
- 8800GT 512MB

What you need to tell us is what GPU you are planning on getting. My GPU sucks out a good 175W's on normal load.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127861

If your planning on getting an 8800GT or equivalent, then a 600W PSU should be fine for your system.

But anything more then the following will underload. You will need a good 700W+ PSU for a rig like yours with a very high end GPU like the GX2xx series cards etc.

Hope this helps.


yea it does my gpu doesn't even need its own power supply i think
mentioned it at begiuning of thread
hd 3650 crappy but cheap only £25 and will do me in the mean time
August 15, 2009 6:38:50 PM

drop the R2E and get a P6T SE, put the £105 you save towards a better graphics card, 6GB of ram and a £70 PSU.

and dropping down to the antec 900 couldn't hurt either.
August 15, 2009 6:43:50 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
drop the R2E and get a P6T SE, put the £105 you save towards a better graphics card, 6GB of ram and a £70 PSU.

and dropping down to the antec 900 couldn't hurt either.


http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=907383
R2E £245.15
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-P6T-Deluxe-V2-Intel...(x16)-Triple-DDR3-2000(OC)-1866(OC)-1600(OC)-ATX
P6T V2 202.60

thats a £43 quid save not £100

it would hurt because R2E is extendered atx and just about fits in antec 1200 with a squash
antec 1200 has better ventualtion
i probably will get 550w corsair for £56
and i can up grade ram later when i got more cash
August 15, 2009 6:53:52 PM

^ I said the P6T SE
£143.99

The R2E is ATX, no E-ATX, and the 1200 doesn't support E-ATX anyway.
August 15, 2009 6:59:12 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
^ I said the P6T SE
£143.99

The R2E is ATX, no E-ATX, and the 1200 doesn't support E-ATX anyway.


ATX Form Factor
12 inch x 10.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 26.9 cm )
* One inch greater than standard ATX form factor

heres the link read it http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=W7i5W4Pw4fH22Mih&...

and yes you can fit this in antec 1200 seen some put it in there on youtube heres the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs5YHTJ8xXs

but it is a tight fit

i wasn't asking on what i should change in build was asking which psu to get
August 15, 2009 7:00:20 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
^ I said the P6T SE
£143.99

The R2E is ATX, no E-ATX, and the 1200 doesn't support E-ATX anyway.


and i7 do kick ass
a c 157 ) Power supply
August 15, 2009 7:07:24 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
drop the R2E and get a P6T SE, put the £105 you save towards a better graphics card, 6GB of ram and a £70 PSU.

and dropping down to the antec 900 couldn't hurt either.


I think that is good advice.

He is talking about the P6T SE, which is cheaper than the V2. Realize that the performance of the i7 920 is about the same, regardless of the motherboard. Only if you are trying for record level overclocks would a high end board make a little bit of difference. Is there some feature of the R2E that is important to you?

I would suggest that the Antec 300 would be even better. Airflow is as good as it gets, or as good as it needs to be, equalling the higher priced 900 and 1200

If your purpose is gaming, spend your cash on the vga card, not the case.

Get a 6gb kit of ram now. Slow speed is OK. It is better to populate only three ram slots vs. the 6 you would have to do later. More ram slots used will impact your overclock.

Save your money, and forget about raid-0.
There is generally no real world(vs. synthetic transfer rate benchmarks) performance advantage to raid of any kind.
Go to www.storagereview.com at this link: http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=Single...
There are some specific applications that will benefit, but
gaming is not one of them. Even if you have an application which reads one input file sequentially, and writes
it out, you will perform about as well by putting the input on one drive, and the output on the other.
I would suggest a WD caviar black. Get the 1tb drive if you can. The initial data loades will approach the speed of the velociraptor.

Use any savings to get a better vga card. Then the PSU can be properly sized.
You are on the right track to look at Corsair PSU's.
August 15, 2009 7:27:05 PM

geofelt said:
I think that is good advice.

He is talking about the P6T SE, which is cheaper than the V2. Realize that the performance of the i7 920 is about the same, regardless of the motherboard. Only if you are trying for record level overclocks would a high end board make a little bit of difference. Is there some feature of the R2E that is important to you?

I would suggest that the Antec 300 would be even better. Airflow is as good as it gets, or as good as it needs to be, equalling the higher priced 900 and 1200

If your purpose is gaming, spend your cash on the vga card, not the case.

Get a 6gb kit of ram now. Slow speed is OK. It is better to populate only three ram slots vs. the 6 you would have to do later. More ram slots used will impact your overclock.

Save your money, and forget about raid-0.
There is generally no real world(vs. synthetic transfer rate benchmarks) performance advantage to raid of any kind.
Go to www.storagereview.com at this link: http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=Single...
There are some specific applications that will benefit, but
gaming is not one of them. Even if you have an application which reads one input file sequentially, and writes
it out, you will perform about as well by putting the input on one drive, and the output on the other.
I would suggest a WD caviar black. Get the 1tb drive if you can. The initial data loades will approach the speed of the velociraptor.

Use any savings to get a better vga card. Then the PSU can be properly sized.
You are on the right track to look at Corsair PSU's.


its the track record of the R2E is very good for stable oc when i get my after cpu cooler i hope i will be able to get near the 4.2ghz mark

i don't do much gaming so the gpu isn't a big deal


and there raid 0 will benfit me as i do have a lot of media 200 odd films and the higher trasfer rates would be a advatage i believe (but everyone has diffrent views)

and there istn't much diffrence between seagate st31000528as and wd 1tb black
if not people say segate is much better

the reason the 10,000rpm raptor is as slow as the 1tb black as well as the seagate

but thanks for the good advice
August 15, 2009 8:09:53 PM

^ except Raidmax isn't the best brand for PSU's, and most people will agree with me.

try Corsair, Antec, PCP&C, Seasonic, Coolermaster or OCZ Z-series.
a c 157 ) Power supply
August 15, 2009 8:11:03 PM

Raidmax is a tier 5 unit on this list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
You want a quality unit such as Corsair, Seasonic, PC P&C, or Antec.
AMD recommends a 400W unit for the 3600 series. Overclocking does not add significantly to the psu requirement:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...
Here is a good unit, for example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For overclocking, get a good cooler up front.
Here is a good comparison review of some top units:
http://www.frozencpu.com/resource/r24/Best_CPU_Cooler_P...

The Xigmatek dark night is a good value unit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Those seagate drives are very good for your purposes. Do an experiment with raid-0 vs source and target data on different drives. to see which works out better.
August 16, 2009 5:19:32 AM

Helloworld_98 said:
^ except Raidmax isn't the best brand for PSU's, and most people will agree with me.

try Corsair, Antec, PCP&C, Seasonic, Coolermaster or OCZ Z-series.


will the corsair 550w be enough to power it?
a c 157 ) Power supply
August 16, 2009 7:19:57 PM

Oscarjw said:
will the corsair 550w be enough to power it?

That would be a very good choice.
You would be able to power a single vga card as strong as a GTX285.
!