DX10.1s not for nvidia

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/13972/1/

Nvidia is preparing to launch a new 40nm mobile generation and we hear that they might have a lot of design wins with this generation. Sources believe that ATI didn’t manage to deliver 40nm chips on time and that is why Nvidia won so many design wins.

If you remember RV740 in mobile variation 40nm was out in March at Cebit, but so far we haven’t seen a single notebook shipping with it.

Nvidia’s 40nm notebook stuff is DirectX 10.1 and you can expect very good performance per watt, something that is very important for notebook users. Many Calpella notebooks will jump for Nvidia’s 40nm as Calpella has to have discrete graphics to work as its P55 mobile chipset doesn’t have any integrated graphics.

after going on about it for years (that it does not matter) there finally getting it out the door

Considering AMD is selling every 4770 they can make I don't think they are too worried about it. You'll see 40nm RV740s make their way into notebooks after the demand for the discreet product tapers off a bit. AMD may not move other parts to 40nm since they will be focusing on DX11 parts soon. It makes more sense for them to focus on developing 40nm DX11 parts for all segments rather than redoing their current parts for 40nm when they will be replaced by the DX11 parts just a few months after.

As there is just one game that I know of that is DX10 'only' and it plays just fine on a 7900GT the whole 'Gotta have DX10.1' issue is cobblers and until DX11 specific titles turn up and by that I mean games that will not install and cannot be played on anything other than DX11 capable hardware this kind of thread is pointless

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

I'm also pretty curious, couldn't care less bout 10.1.. but I'm interested to see what the first nvidia 40nm will be.. 9400Go!

Ahh, the guessing game!, now that's a bit more fun. still pointless though as they will be re-badged before the ink on the boxes is dry, but still fun.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Then they can bring back the FX5700 fan cooler (i think i'm thinking of the right card) then your GPU can sound like a Car you can hear it rev up.

I'm guessing this is just R/D stuff they just produced to prove to ati fanboys yes we can and are able to do that *** but choose not to until we find it usefull.

Regardless of your thoughts of the usefulness of the feature itself (same was said about DX8, 8.1, 9, SM3.0, DX10 versus previous gens), I'm just waiting to see the marketing.

After all the talking down nV did of the feature, what will their marketing department have to say about it, especially if they launch beside the rest of their line which doesn't support the feature?

The only real possibility is for them to hope it stops ATi from mentioning the feature advantage for that line, but they it would play to ATi mentioning it about nV other lines.

Nice to see more adoption for install base, but a little late in the game where upcoming DX11 makes it a moot point other than how it relates to other potential areas like GPGPU, etc.