• Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
October 15, 2011 4:34:11 PM

help me

More about : work rom

October 15, 2011 5:05:10 PM

COOLTEENALIAS said:
help me

Go into BIOS Setup and check Boot Devices.
m
l
October 19, 2011 12:46:06 AM

More specifically, in the BIOS (which you can enter by hitting the delete button during startup (or F8, or R10, or F12)) look for the boot sequence and ensure that a hard disk, not a CD drive, is set as the primary/first boot device.

COOLTEENALIAS said:
help me

m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2011 3:54:26 AM

RelaxninTucson said:
More specifically, in the BIOS (which you can enter by hitting the delete button during startup (or F8, or R10, or F12)) look for the boot sequence and ensure that a hard disk, not a CD drive, is set as the primary/first boot device.

-1 :non: 

More specifically--??
What if it's a Dell?
What if it's an HP?
What if it's a Toshiba?
What if it's an IBM Thinkpad?
F8 will bring up the Windows Boot Choices Menu
What is R10??

More specifically--
The CD can always be the first boot device because it is just that, the first, not the only, just the first. When no bootable CD is in the drive it progresses to the next boot device.

It's not bad to make an error, unless you are correcting someone else not in error- with your error.
m
l
October 19, 2011 4:41:37 AM

I'm new to trying to help others with computer problems online. I felt that the first reply assumed a certain level of knowledge of how to get to the BIOS, or what boot devices may be listed. I thought I'd elaborate a bit, enough that the user might make better sense of the first reply. It wasn't a correction, it was an elaboration.

R10 was obviously a typo.

Why does this feel like an old AOL chat room people got heckled? Are we all trying to help each other... for free...?
m
l
October 19, 2011 6:28:57 AM

Inaccurate suggestions make the person feel like they've done something wrong when what is supposed to be accurate advice does not work as instructed. It causes more questions and frustration.

I said it's not bad to make an error, we all make mistakes. I think someone shouldn't 'run with the ball' unless they are certain they have superior methods to offer, which happens often here and is even appreciated by the person who's help was improved upon.

In the present problem, ksiemb directed the OP to check their BIOS settings. If the OP didn't understand that, they could come back and ask how, or even what that is. It is helpful to realize most people coming here for help never respond to the person giving them the help they were so desperate to obtain in the first place, kind of like 'hit and run', so an elaborate, highly detailed answer to a question often is not offered unless the OP seeks greater insight to the problem. I guess we get tired of supplying absolutely everything to remedy a problem and never hear back if it worked for them or if something more may be needed.

ksiemb gave an essential instruction. If the OP never comes back, then a lot of research and effort was not expended for nothing.

Your addition was inaccurate but that doesn't appear to matter since the OP has not returned, as is the case too many times.

To your benefit, at least you didn't suggest something that could damage their computer. There is one person that contributes here who's answers must be checked as soon as discovered because he does suggest things that can cause very serious harm to a computer.

As far as we offer help for free, yes it is free and there is that old saying that you get what you pay for, except here, we try to give a true bargain.

I rarely chime in on bum or generally wrong advice. Tonight I just got picky and you were 'it'. My apologies if I offended you.
m
l
October 19, 2011 6:49:34 AM

tigsounds said:
Inaccurate suggestions make the person feel like they've done something wrong when what is supposed to be accurate advice does not work as instructed. It causes more questions and frustration.

I said it's not bad to make an error, we all make mistakes. I think someone shouldn't 'run with the ball' unless they are certain they have superior methods to offer, which happens often here and is even appreciated by the person who's help was improved upon.

In the present problem, ksiemb directed the OP to check their BIOS settings. If the OP didn't understand that, they could come back and ask how, or even what that is. It is helpful to realize most people coming here for help never respond to the person giving them the help they were so desperate to obtain in the first place, kind of like 'hit and run', so an elaborate, highly detailed answer to a question often is not offered unless the OP seeks greater insight to the problem. I guess we get tired of supplying absolutely everything to remedy a problem and never hear back if it worked for them or if something more may be needed.

ksiemb gave an essential instruction. If the OP never comes back, then a lot of research and effort was not expended for nothing.

Your addition was inaccurate but that doesn't appear to matter since the OP has not returned, as is the case too many times.

To your benefit, at least you didn't suggest something that could damage their computer. There is one person that contributes here who's answers must be checked as soon as discovered because he does suggest things that can cause very serious harm to a computer.

As far as we offer help for free, yes it is free and there is that old saying that you get what you pay for, except here, we try to give a true bargain.

I rarely chime in on bum or generally wrong advice. Tonight I just got picky and you were 'it'. My apologies if I offended you.

Very well put Tigsounds. I could not agree more with the part about not supplying all the detail, every step, keystroke. Just point them in the right direction, and they respond if they don't understand, or as you mentioned, if they even respond at all.
m
l
October 19, 2011 7:06:29 AM

ksiemb said:
Very well put Tigsounds. I could not agree more with the part about not supplying all the detail, every step, keystroke. Just point them in the right direction, and they respond if they don't understand, or as you mentioned, if they even respond at all.

As Elvis was famous for saying.. "Thank You, Thank you very much"

I see people come here asking for help and then also see where they posted the same problem on many other forums, all within minutes of coming here for assistance. Perhaps they took the first answer they found and ran with it, never looking back. This is one reason I hesitate to give help to someone that wants us to email them with the answer. They have no intention of ever coming back.

m
l
October 21, 2011 3:53:25 AM

I appreciate the context and perspective, and what you say makes sense. It's like lightning - take the path of least resistance. I will refrain from making this more complicated than it has to be going forward. I took the boldfacing of your text and your comment more personally than I should have. Then I saw somewhere else that you posted "get me a rope" or something like that so I thought you were a heckler.

I have gravitated to Tom's Hardware a number of times - just through Google searches - while researching my own problems. I had one that I could not seem to find anywhere on the Internet and I figured for the first time ever I'd post it here and ask someone. In return I figured I'd answer at least 3 other people's questions. I found that many are a bit too nuanced or hardware-specific for my level of knowledge. I'm completely self taught, but I've never encountered a problem I didn't fix (even after Microsoft level 3 support failed to help me with a router issue).

Thank you for all of your contributions. I'll try to contribute once in a while, more meaningfully than I did initially.

tigsounds said:

m
l
October 21, 2011 4:54:10 AM

RelaxninTucson said:

<snip>

Then I saw somewhere else that you posted "get me a rope" or something like that so I thought you were a heckler.

Do come back.

The "Get a rope" bit... Some stubborn people cannot be helped no matter what we offer. It's the old "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" thing.

m
l
!