Sli ready graphics card but no bridge pins

hazza

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
i have 2 "gainward bliss 8500gt pcx"

(box and unit look exactly the same like in this picture http://i00.twenga.com/p/02/20/140220vb.png)

(unit only - http://www.farayandmea.com/Images/Products/Large633404803439682500.jpg)

the box and some online descriptions say they are SLI ready but they do not have the pins on top to connect to SLI bridge to.

How can i connect them? do these models not require the bridge and just connect through the motherboard and software?

my motherboard is the dfi lan party nf4 sli-d.

thanks for your help in advance

edit: sorry links dont work, dont know why - its the 512mb version

They don't need the bridge because they just do all the communicating over the PCI-E bus and the commands otherwise handled by that connector are done in software instead. Of course it also introduces additional CPU overhead for such software SLI as well. A Single 9500GT would probably outperform those two cards in SLI though so I'd return them if it was me.

hazza

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
thank you very much for your help.

a friend and i got them a long while back. he upgraded his last week so he gave me his one for free since i have a sli motherboard and the same card already. i figured using 2 would be better than 1 even though all i do with my pc these days is browse the internet or watch videos. i do not have intentions on spending to upgrade atm; i intend to do a major/complete upgrade of all parts early next year.

do i just have to update the nvidia drivers and slot the other one in and viola? or is there anything else to do?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I did some testing with that generation of cards, and you can enable SLI without the bridge. HOWEVER, my tests revealed that performance only went up in OpenGL apps, not DirectX games. In fact, putting two cards in SLI without the bridge can LOWER your DirectX performance, so don't do it.

TRENDING THREADS