New monitor on older pc and nvidia geforce2 mx400

ravel96

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I've been using a 21 inch Sony Trinitron flat screen CRT on my older pc (2003) with a nvidia geforce 2 mx400 card. My monitor is being looked at by a monitor repair shop because the image has gone concave on the sides. If they can't repair it, and I have to get a new monitor, my question is this: will a new lcd digital monitor be able to work with my nvidia card? I see an extra hookup that looks different from the analog hookup on the nvidia slot on the back side of my pc, but I'm not sure if that means I can use a more modern monitor or will I have to find another CRT. Thanks in advance for nay help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Those guys don't know what they're talking about. Really, the adapter they are refering to is for breaking out a VGA signal out of a combination connector (DVI-I) which has extra pins for VGA. It won't work for going in the reverse direction.

If your card has a DVI output (looks like that adapter), you can use a DVI cable to your new monitor, assuming the monitor has a DVI input (most flat panels do).

If your card doesn't have DVI output but only has VGA, and your monitor has VGA input, you can use a VGA cable.

If your monitor ONLY has DVI inputs and your card ONLY has VGA and a round connector, you'll need a new card.

The round connector typically supports S-Video (an old TV standard of low resolution) and, via breakout adapter, Composite video (an even older, lower-resolution TV standard). So, the round connector is a no-go for computer monitors.