NewEgg dropping low rating for 965?

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Gents:

I'm a faithful reader of NewEgg product reviews. I looked yesterday & today at buyer reviews for the new AMD_965 CPU.

I notice several low-rating reviews have been removed & the "Egg_count" upped from 4 to 5 ! Basically, the removed, low-score reviews said WHAT A WASTE! NOTHING NEW.

I figure the howling_dawg, hi-density AMD fanboyz at Toms' can clue me in. What gives? AMD would NEVER pressure paragon-of-virtue Da-Egg to push their over.priced, under.performing CPUz. Eh ??

You're right. They dropped a lot of them. I read, and possible last night/this early morning about people saying don't buy it buy the next lower one..... 955 I believe. I see this with memory a lot. Changes daily, kinda like their pricing. Guess they don't want the honest opinions any more.
Times must be getting tough over at the egg. I purchase there at least once a month.... but not last month and not this month either. Add that with all the economically enslaved, system builders, and weekend builders/updaters that don't have extra money because big business and our illustrious leaders ran the country into the ground and this is what you get. Hiding the truth to help your bottom line. Wow, sound like Enron doesn't it ? LOL

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I care lots if NewEgg censors-ratings ... since I buy from NE and am looking hard at components for a new quad system. But, I build every 3-4 years, not every year and comments from experienced, frequent_builders ( including Toms ..) are a crucial element in my choice.
Bet I'm not the only one who DEPENDS on this kind of usrland input !

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I believe if they are dropping reviews regardless if someone bought the product on their site or not it is wrong. If I am not mistaken, it is pretty easy to weed out the fanboys, people who don't have a clue on what their talking about, and also they have a voting section, did you find this review helpful? Right, or not, It should be easy to weed out the reviews that are BS.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

I built, own & run both Intel_P4 & AMD_5400+ kit. Prolly most folks who 'roll.their.own' have that kinda mix and think nothing special about it. Both of mine run Ubuntu and run it well.

Learning on a 6502_Apple, the new generation of QUADS appear like mainframes. That's good. Choosing and building my own personal mainframe system will be quite-da-blast. I think the younger, sophisticated, blasé builder takes exceptional performance for granted -- and miss out on the excitement!

hines1957

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Newegg is censoring my latest review and thought you might want to know about it. Personally I will not buy anything from Newegg again. Cherry picked reviews are WORTHLESS! Here is what happened to me:

I bought an 80GB solid state drive from Newegg. Says on the site it has a SATA interface. Doesn't say anything else about the interface. Also says it comes with software to migrate data from your current hard drive to the new drive. Doesn't offer any caveats as to what the migration software can or cannot handle. It seems like a good deal at $190 so I get one.

After wasting an entire Saturday from dawn to dusk trying to get the thing to work, I figure out that the drive conforms to the SATA II standard (eSATA) only. It is not backwards-compatible to SATA I, which is what my controller supports. There is no jumper on the drive to configure it for SATA I. I even went as far as upgrading my BIOS, as well as 50 other things I tried. Nothing worked. The drive is absolutely, 100% incompatible with SATA I. There is not a peep on the Newegg site about this limitation. There's nothing on any of the product data about this problem either.

Next problem: The so-called migration software simply does not work. The problem appears to be that my current drive (120GB) is larger than the solid state drive (80GB) and the software cannot handle migrating from a larger drive to a smaller drive, EVEN THOUGH I only have 60GB of data on my old drive! Obviously this would migrate just fine but the software simply does not work when the destination is smaller than the source. Again, not a word on the Newegg site or product packaging about this limitation.

So I write a review on the Newegg site to let others know about this problem. It doesn't show up. I check the next day... it's not there. I'm thinking WTF at this point. I check again the next day and realize they are not going to put up a review that discourages people from buying this worthless piece of junk.

So now I am telling EVERYONE I KNOW to boycott Newegg. I was a loyal customer until a few days ago, but as far as I'm concerned their reputation is destroyed. I am going to make sure that everyone knows the kind of FRAUD they are perpetuating with misleading product information and blocking reviews that disclose the misleading information intended to protect people from making the same mistake.

jennyh

Splendid

If you DEPEND on newegg user input you've got real problems.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Phenom+II+965+review

sdf

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007

Impressive business skills, they piss off a customer enough to get him to buy a more expensive product. I'm impressed.

Since I own an Intel SSD, and I have tested it on my older laptop which only supports SATA 1.5 Gb/s (on which it works flawlessly), I have exactly one thing to say about your claims.

You are full of it.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

?? I dont see the word Intel anywhere in his post...

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
newegg reviews should be taken very lightly. many times i have seen negative reviews for hardware for the simple fact the person/s that bought them do not have the technical knowledge beyond plugging it in and expecting it to work.
they really need to segregate or remove completely reviews posted by people who did not buy the product from the egg. too many fanboy ball busters come in just attempting to lower a product rating.

Sorry but this was your fault, you should have done your research before you purchased the SSD. Newegg is not de-frauding anyone, they just simply sell the product as is. Many users that purchase/purchased an SSD at this point already knew about this same issue. No need to boycott anyone, just educate yourself before you buy your hardware, this way you know beforehand what to expect.

I don't think the Egg should be entitled to post a negative review when it is clear that the user/users didn't know what they were doing in the first place. I saw several negative reviews that were just rediculous, for instance, one reviewer said that he didnt know that the 965 was not compatible with his AM2 ONLY board, or the fact that the user bent a pin because he didn't know how to seat the CPU properly.... Some products are just not meant to have 1 egg reviews when in fact they leave the assembly line in perfect working conditions, I can understand if a CPU is DOA ( 1 out of every 500 units ) but to have more than 10 negative reviews in a 4 week timeframe is just ridiculous. This is called HUMAN ERROR.. People need to know that building a PC takes patience, crasftmanship and at least a tad of knowledge...