• Heatsinks
  • Cases
  • Cooling
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
March 10, 2011 5:22:26 PM

Hi,

Currently I have a 8800 GTX, Q6600 and NZXT Hush case. GPU has a stock cooler and CPU has a Tuniq Tower. Whenever I open the side door of the case, temps and noises begin dropping. When I close my case, noises start rising and temps are getting higher.

I just bought an HD 5870 Vapor-X and I'm going to get an Intel 2500K.

My question is that what should I do about the case and coolers? My fans push around 70 CFM so they can't be bad (Noctua), but I am wondering if I should switch my case to something better - what? I'm worried about Hush's airflow.

I am also considering if I reuse my Tuniq Tower Ultra 120 Extreme for the next CPU, if I happen to get a motherboard that supports LGA775 coolers like ASRock. If not, then I will get the Zalman CNPS10x Quiet.

I also have no idea whether I should get a GPU cooler. I think I'll start with the stock one and figure my way out.

Got any suggestions? What about those water cooling packages like Hydroid 50/70?

Thanks for the comments!

More about : cooling case components

a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 11:05:19 PM

Download and install SpeedFan..........

Take some measure measurements........side panel on and off. ALSO, note the fan speeds as they will likely change with temps and faster is always more noise.

I built a system with the NZXT Hush, its a nice case. Has some problems with rattle thou. Cooling is okay for a single card. I've use the Silenx and Noctua fans very quiet.

I also have a Vapor-X 5870 (two in fact). DEAD silent cards, powerful too. I paid $450 when they 1st came out, now there closer to $200, sigh....

BUT IF YOU REALLY WANT QUIET : I have this case. Its the quietest case I've encountered. The aluminum plastic sandwich side panels simply won't rattle at all. The separate PS/hard drive & main chamber keep things cool and the noise levels low

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you need better cooling, when I upgraded from one 5870 to two, I moved the system to a Corsair 800D..... cooler and quiet too.
!