Will It Fit? i52500k, 4x4GB G-skill Ripjaw and P67 Mobo

FirstTimeCompBuilder

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Anybody know what CPU coolers (no liquid pls) will fit with a P67 mobo, work with the new sandy bridge i5 2500k and fit properly with 4x4 GB sticks of G-skill ripjaw series ram? I know the G-Skill has it’s own heat dispersers and I don’t want to buy a CPU cooler that won’t clear the ram.

Anybody have any suggestions on what CPU cooler to go with?

I am undecided on the MOBO but it will most likely be the ASUS Deluxe or similar Gig brand.

Looking for something on the quieter side also.

I see a good combo might be the Mugan Rev 2 and the Giga Mobo but that is the only proven example i have come across

Thanks

romanrp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I am planning on buying the 2500k with asus p8p67 pro.
For the heatsink I will be using the hyper 212+ cooler.
This combo should work,(as long as you have enough space in your case)
The cooler itself is one of the cheapest but it is one of the most popular ones, you can also swap the fans on it for quieter or better ones.
Note: i havent actually tried this myself, although it has been verified by many and its what I will do, this week hopefully.

FirstTimeCompBuilder

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
no reason for me to pickup the PRO as i wont be SLI/Xfire'ing

picked up the ASUS P8P67 motherboard last night.

now to find a cooler that will fit.

I have been reading about several that people recommend but i have not seen one post from experience.

Has ANYBODY successfully installed a decent CPU Cooler (not liquid) on a 1155 chipset board, specifically the ASUS P8P67
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131705
WITH G-Skill Ripjaw series ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

I have heard positive results on the CM 212, Mugen, Armageddon and a few others but then one or two people will simply say it wont fit (and show pictures that it wont).

This is my first computer build so i am not ready to be cutting any plates to make a CPU cooler fit or any other type of custom work.

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

I have the P8P67 PRO and successfully mounted the Zalman CNPS 9900A LED cooler. It clears everything and doesn't come close to the Ripjaw heatspreaders. I'm not 100% satisfied with its OC'd performance, but it is doing the job and is wicked silent. I would highly recommend it if you don't plan on a heavy overclock.
I just recieved my replacement board from new egg and am debating whether to change the Zalman for something else since I have to pull the heatsink and CPU out of the old board anyhow. If I didn't, I would be happy to stay with the Zalman.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118046

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
The Mugen 2 Definitely does fit the ASUS P8P67 board with no problem. The fan does cover the first two mem slots but it clears the RIPJAWS by the tiniest margin.
Good cooler but horrible installation.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

I have the Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink with 2 fans in a push pull and im using the Corsair Vengeance ram on the 1st ram slot and it fits perfect..

Get this one here you won't have any problems.

Only $49.99 at svc.com. it's on clearance get it before they sell out.

http://www.svc.com/armageddon.html

Here is a picture of my pc with the p67 msi and prolimatech armageddon with a tall ram heatsink.

http://www.myphotos.yahoo.com/s/20zwi8fye0ub1y1gw6ys

i just recently dropped the 2nd fan on the heatsink and it dropped my temps by like 5c

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

The reason I called it a horrible installation isn't because it's difficult but because I don't think it allows for a clean first "mating of the 2 surfaces" upon initial contact. This is critical for even distribution of the thermal transfer compound.

Most Heatsinks I've installed are either pushpins (easy install but not optimal) and ones involving a backplate which anchors the sink on top of the dye with the board sandwiched in between. Ideally the backplate bolts through the mobo with a top plate which exposes the top of the CPU. You would then put a drop of thermal grease, carefully sit the heat sink on top and then a small cross bracket should fasten it tightly to the Top Plate.

What makes the Mugen2 different is there is no top plate. The backplate bolts through the mainboard directly into the heatsink. What this means is...until you've tightened down the bolts, there is nothing holding the backplate on the mobo. What you need to do is turn the heatsink upside down (or place it upside down on the counter) and place the motherboard onto the heatsink making it difficult to line up the two surfaces perfectly. Because the board can't balance itself on top of the heatsink, you need to "one hand" the bolting through process.

A better installation would allow for a board to be laid down right-side up and then be fitted with the heatsink in a way you could be in a better position to see.

I hope I explained this well enough so you could understand. I know it might be hard not being able to see the way the parts fit together