AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Where'd did AMD hide the Phenom II 940?! I was looking around the CPU/Processor section at "The Egg" and I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked for AM2+ Phenom II's! The 940 was pulled from it! Now it's just the 920 which isn't a BE. I had my eyes set on that 940... but I guess I was too late :fou: ? Did the 965 intro nudge the 955 into pricing territory too close to the 940? Geez, I'm so ticked at AMD right now. I've been considering a C2Q honestly for my next build, they're gettin cheaper and still have superior performance (ie. Q9450, Q9550, Q9650).

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Yep Tiger Direct does carry it.If you want to get this CPU just jump (quick) on buying it as the 940 BE's I think are being phased out.However if your motherboard supports the 955BE with a BIOS update that would be a good choice for a CPU upgrade (the 965 BE is too costly).Don't even consider C2Q dead platform for a new build though just wait till until the Core i5's are out instead.

loneninja

Distinguished
Almost all of the AM2+ chips be it 65nm or even the Phenom II AM2+ only parts have been phased out and are in the process of vanishing from shelves. Apparently the Phenom II 800 series and some of the Phenom II 700 series will also be eliminated.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
mmm, great... Yeah I guess I'm not really mad at AMD cause they're just trying to push into the future, and yeah the LGA 775 is practically dead now so it wouldn't be a good choice to play w/ anymore. If AMD is already trying to get rid of AM2+ PII, then why haven't they cleared out the ancient Phenom's (gen. 1)? They have such a messy product line w/ those. And why would they stop the 700 series? Aren't there always going to PII X4 that just don't have the 4th core to make to the show room?

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
They're just eliminating an old AM2+ part so that the AM3 part (945) with lower power consumption can replace it. They're also making it non BE, so that the 955 and the 965 are the only BE parts (if not, you could just get the 940 and overclock).
As to the 700 series, I read somewhere that they'll be introducing the 740 @ 3.0 GHz, so maybe it's just the 710 that they're phasing out?
And about Phenom Is, I guess they have not yet shifted to full 45nm production, so they still produce 65nm phenoms.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Its an older AM2+ processor, its been phased out!!??!!

Just get a 945, its only 95w and is the same price.

....and C2Q do NOT have superior performance. Your pissed at AMD for what? Because they dont keep making old chit for you? Get real.

Just remember, any C2Q platform will be NON upgradable, so go ahead and dump some money into a throw away platform.

Acutally the C2Q DO have superior performance (once you overclock). :) But we can agree to disagree before I start something. :)

C2Q and PhII are fairly similar most of the time - the PhII will win some of the time, and the C2Q will win some of the time. Both are excellent CPUs (unlike, say, the old gen Phenoms).

No, youre right, the 45nm C2s have around the same edge IPC wise as they do against both the 65nm C2s and P2s.
But that isnt the market that makes sales, ocing that is.
So, its a very enticing product for average Joe, who like many of us, wants a kick butt cpu, but would never oc, so at stock, its as good as any, but comes with bigger numbers LOL

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
while benchmarks and timings show the C2Q and PII consistently exchanging blows. But the PII's often edge out ahead of the C2Q's in gaming.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Aye, undoubtedly AMD has made quite a come back with Phenom IIs and they are a GREAT buy. Was just sayin they don't perform better =P (but they are close).

And yeah you're right jay, to the average user(gamer) who doesn't want to OC, Phenom-II is the way to go, hands down. I just hope intel doesn't blow AMD out of the water with their i5s and the prices on those... Competition is always good on both sides!! (as a consumer that is)

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Yeah, if Core i5s are a knock out for Phenom II, then Intel won't ever lower their prices, and Core i7 will be always an expensive CPU...
If AMD had something with the same performance as the i7, Intel wouldn't be charging $500 for the second fastest i7.
Plus, there have been some cuts in the Core 2 line ever since Phenom II was launched (they had't changed their pricing schemes much before Phenom II).
It's important for us (the consumers) that AMD remains competitive and "limits" Intel regarding pricing of their CPUs, so that we get lower prices for better performing hardware.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

I love 955's. I just had to put that out there.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I Know...LOL>

I wanted to wait to get the 955 but went with the 940 instead, and the AM2+/am3 79 T instead. All that was out at the time was the 720 for AM3 and DDR3. Its not a big deal, the 940 works great, just no DDR3 is all. It does everything I need it to, and I won't be upgrading for a while, unless its for SSD or Something comes along to blow all the CPU's out of the water...for Intel and AMD

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009

What are you asking for it? How long have you been using it (specifically when it's OC'ed). Cause I'm using an AM2+ board so I can't even make use of the DDR3 in the 955 so thts why i don't want to have to pay for that feature. Right now I'm stuck w/ a 9950 :pfff: which really isnt that great.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I have had if for five months or there about. Yes it is over clocked, but this Processor has been babied with A custom Danger Den water loop that I put together. I only had to bump it up to 1.38 volt to get the 3.6 and I have not tried to get anymore out of it, don't need to it runs fast enough for me. It stays at around 29C-35 at load since I built my new custom case out of aluminum and lined it with Granite. I have never seen temps this good in any case I have had, the mother board almost alway stays at 30C with a small volt increase to the north bridge for 8 gbs of 1066 at 1066 to run stable and 2.1 volts on my G.skill 1066.

I gave $225 or $235(can't remember) for it when it first was released. Not sure what I want for it, means I would have to replace it with a 955 if I got rid of it to you. PM if your interested and make me a offer.

I feel your pain with the 9950 b.e. I had the 9850b.e. and just sold it at a huge loss with my old Jetway HA04 mother board the other day.... I got $180 for the two. I am trying to down scale alittle bit, I have to many custom builds. I liked the 9850 b.e. but it just didn't OC well and even with my Asus board with the 790FX chipset and 750 South bridge I couldn't get it to a stable 3.2 GHZ on water. That is pretty sad. The Phenom II 940 doesn't seem to have that problem, and I am sure my chip could get better then 3.6ghz, I just didn't want to push it.

Another nice thing about the Phenom II's and with the 940 B.E is that even if you overclock it, cool and Quiet now works right, unlike the Phenom's and it down clocks the cores when your system doesn't need them to 800mhz on all cores, it also undervolts down to .99 volts instead of running full volts to the cpu 1.38 V This is a very nice feature, because it puts less ware on your processor, save's on the electric bill. When you need the power, every thing just kicks back in at full speed, and volts to the CPU, no problems, no delays, it just works. I love it. :D

TRENDING THREADS