Sign in with
Your question

Buy SSD now or wait for next Generation?

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 4, 2011 10:14:17 AM

Hello,

I am looking for a very fast SSD for my new PC. I want around 100-120 GB for Windows 7, 1-2 games and some programs.

The "OCZ Vertex II 120 GB" is my favorite so far, but I have heard that the new OCZ SSDs with SF-2000 Controllers will come out early 2011. Would you wait for them or just buy one now? Also, what is your opinion on the "Vertex II" vs the "OCZ RevoDrive X2"

Thanks!

a b G Storage
January 4, 2011 7:30:28 PM

Hi Night_87 and welcome to Tom's forum.

And your rig specs are???
a b G Storage
January 23, 2011 7:59:16 PM

It depends on how much you want to spend and how long you're willing to wait. If you need the drive now and/or want a really good deal then I would by now as several manufacturers are offering discounts or rebates. If you want more speed and are willing to wait a bit (and don't mind paying full price), then I would wait for the new drives to come out. The Revo drives are faster than the SATA drives and they cost a bit more, they also require a PCIe x4 (or larger) slot which may reduce your SLI or Crossfire options.

I just got a Vertex 2 for my laptop and the speed difference is amazing. Definitely glad I spent the money.
Related resources
a c 303 G Storage
January 23, 2011 9:21:41 PM

I'm waiting for the next generation of ssd's. The first of the new generation ssd's should be released next month. The releases will continue throughout the year. Hoping it doesn't take too long.
January 24, 2011 8:38:27 PM

The Revodrive is very expensive. New SSDs are coming out soon, I would wait. Also, does your rig have SATA 3 interfaces which the new models will be using, otherwise you might not get the full performance benefit?

Quote:

I am looking for a very fast SSD for my new PC. I want around 100-120 GB for Windows 7, 1-2 games and some programs.

I am using 60GB and the above fits. But not much else...
January 24, 2011 10:48:05 PM

I dont have SATA 6gb. But I will wait for the new SATA 3gb SSD beucse they are going to be better and faster than the curent SATA 3gb one of today. Also this will be my first upgrade to an SSD so it will be a big improvement to my system even with SATA 3gb.
a b G Storage
January 25, 2011 12:21:14 AM

You could always get a SATA III PCIe card for your current system. They shouldn't cost much.
January 25, 2011 7:49:49 AM

Yep, I think get a SATA 3 card for your computer, and wait a month or two to see the new drives.
January 25, 2011 10:55:34 PM

I dont like the architecture of the addon cards. They also take away from the other cards. It's best to get a new SATA II when they come out and wait for the new onboard SATA III (6gb) and new contollers.........
a b G Storage
January 27, 2011 2:28:00 AM

The 64GB version has similar specs as C300 64GB except for read speed. The other two versions looks pretty good, now I want see what can do Micron with the C400 as reply to this SSDs.
a c 303 G Storage
January 27, 2011 2:36:40 AM

There will more brands coming out in the next four months. Hope Tom's hardware and other sites do a round-up article.

BTW - Runcore released a 1TB SATA III ssd. Didn't bother to check it out because it probably costs a small fortune.
January 27, 2011 10:30:49 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
BTW - Runcore released a 1GB SATA III ssd. Didn't bother to check it out because it probably costs a small fortune.

Is that a typo? What is anyone going to do with a 1 GB SSD? That's not enough for an op system, and barely enough for a short movie. :??: 
a c 303 G Storage
January 27, 2011 10:47:48 AM

studioman22 - OOPS! :(  It is a typo. Fixed now. It was supposed to 1TB. I am a senior citizen and I am growing old disgracefully. At my age it is very easy to get things mixed up.
a b G Storage
January 27, 2011 11:16:52 AM

Agree, the new generation SSD is coming :) ....now I need save more money to new GPU and SSD :lol: 
!