Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2009 10:44:39 PM

I NEED THE MOTHER -BOARD LAYOUT SO IWILL KNOW WHERE TO PUT JUMPERS

More about : user manual ms6178

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2009 10:49:19 PM

Turn off Caps Lock and try a Google search.
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 2:15:55 AM

I haven't seen a mb with jumpers in a couple years, kinda miss them now that I think about it
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 4:19:06 PM

I still have a MB with jumpers. And I have the original manual. Even with the manual, I can't set the jumpers to make the system work. The 1GB hard drive is full and even if I managed to get it post, it would take till January to load to desktop with the 133MHz. processor. It does have 64MB RAM, but the transfer rate is measured in months too.

EDit for Writer's embellishments.
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 5:47:28 PM

that's awesome badge takes me back to working on a P1 when i was in HI. We ran dryer ducting from a window unit into the top to the case so we could overclock it more.

to Richard
As I recall most board jumpers are labeled, albeit fairly cryptically. a flashlight and some brainstorming and you should be able to work it out.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 5:52:05 PM

I have a piece of a clothes hanger twisted around a small (40MM?) fan sitting on top of my 133MHz. unit. Pliers friendly installation. I have tried everything I know and for many hours to get that system to run again. The MB may be damaged. Or the CPU.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 5:59:01 PM

There was a guy on the Forum years ago who ran PVC tubing from his 'cold' basement, fan driven into a closet upstairs to cool his system. He bragged how cool his 'bright idea' worked. Then he posted a pic. The MB was mounted on the closet wall with wires hanging loose in evey direction. I don't know how He walked in that closet without jerking every wire off the thing and stepping on the PSU.

a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 6:05:04 PM

I assume you've already tried a boot disk, that would tell you if the hardware still works at least.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 6:14:42 PM

The system has Windows 98 installed, was windows 95. It has an ancient optical drive and a floppy. What kind of boot disk should I try. I can't get to BIOS. The system powers on, but will not post. This system is a derivitive of my first computer. It's pieces of y first computer. I rememeber when we tore down my PI 100MHz. Packard Bell and started swapping things out (I had help) Jorgensen loaded this thing up with a series of DOS floppies. It took a couple of days to load the thing. He would stick a floppy in and say come and get me in a couple of hours when it asks for more. Many yeras ago my brother in law 'helped' me install a new (266/288MHz?) P1 and He screwed up the jumpers or the CPUs or the MB. I have messed around with it a lot try to get it to boot up, but it's been more than a year ago. Where can I download a suitable boot disk that might posibly give some insight to a hardware problem. The thing is really, really slow. 1GB harddrive.
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 6:25:25 PM

k didn't realize you weren't even making it to post.

Pull your heatsink and get the numbers off of the cpu, a quick web search should turn up what FSB and Multi you need. Then check on the MB and see what it supports, remember the cpu can go down but not up. Once you have the info you should be able to read the fine print on the board to set the jumpers correctly (more jumpers if needed are conveniently located on the back to the cd drives).

If you make make post then boot from a win98 boot disk preferably, but anything similar will work.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 6:43:13 PM

Ok. Sounds good. Key is FSB and Multiplier. I know the MB supports the two processors I have, 133Mhz. and 266MHz. I believe. It may be a while before I pull the box from the garage and get it out and work on it again. Like I said, I have the original MB manual with diagrams and such. The MB company is out of business long ago.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 6:46:04 PM

Just want to mention, I have tried many different settings with the jumpers with no luck. I read carefully and thought I had it right. Maybe the board or CPU(s) are bad.
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 7:46:03 AM

entirely possible something went bad but with older stuff it is rather unlikely older components where built like rocks

if you do have issues bring your fsb down one notch
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 7:49:13 AM

Bring the FSB down a notch with the jumper (setting)? I will have to pull the old computer out sometime soon and try again to get it to boot I guess.
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 7:52:18 AM

yes with the jumper
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 8:35:30 AM

After we spoke Saturday, I did a little research on my Intel 133 MHz. processor. FSB according to Intel specs is 66Mhz.

This is my MB manual. I don't know, it's been a while, but I have read it and tried to set the jumpers.

http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/411/d5cub.pdf

For the record, I bought my first PC a year or more before this. This was an upgrade!

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 8:43:03 AM

In the manual, Table 2.1.

The fifth box down: 133MHz External, 66MHz internal.

I believe that is the spec for my 133Mhz. CPU.

Jumper settings follow.

Do you see table 2.1 regarding a 133MHz. processor?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 8:46:07 AM

Then table 2.2 for Cyrix CPU's (I think mine falls under this category? I don't know I have an Intel 133)

External 133, external 66MHz.

The jumper settings are different!

Jumpers 15 and 16 are switched from Table 2.1 (Intel CPUs)
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 4:39:29 PM

the type and model of the cpu should be etched on the top of it

the settings are different because of internal differences between the intel and cyrix, they both achieve 133 but they do it in a different manner as shown in table 2-10
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 5:00:26 PM

I have one of the four Intel 133Mhz. units.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ParentRadio=...

Table 2.1 shows only a single jumper seting for Intel 133 external/66MHz internal CPU. I will try that setting.

EDIT sorry there are 7 133MHz units listed on the Intel spec finder. And the stepping is only difference.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 5:09:07 PM

I suppose when manual designates jumper 15 as 1-2 and jumper 16 as 2-3 that means a jumper is required on those pins? I don't have the board in front of me.
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 5:14:30 PM

yes the two pins named will be shorted with a jumper
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 5:18:42 PM

Ok. I will try and drag the system out and have a look. My brother in law messed with jumper years ago and killed it. I have tried (and very intensly) on a few occasions to get it to run since. The system was quirky to begin with and of course crashed at the end of each day when using Windows 95. Now it has '98. The hard drivve has been 'compacted' may 10 times. If I get it running tonight, I'll let you know on Friday when the desktop arrives.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 5:24:21 PM

This all began when my Packard Bell 100MHz. Pentium machine began failing with a printer and scanner I was using. I ask a friend if he could help get the printer/scanner going. He determned the PB's 16 GB of onboard RAM was holding things up. My Packard Bell ended up in pieces and eventually literally in the trash. My buddy helped me build this thing I have now. I remember when He eventually dropped inthe 133Mhz. chip replacing the 100Mhz. chip and added 32 MB RAM. I commented, "man this somebeach screams!" So did his girlfriend. Not only was she hot, it was her computer he was giving me for trashing mine.
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 5:25:39 PM

wow i had forgot all about running compressed drives, can you even do that anymore

don't forget the other jumpers as well: voltage, ram, cache...
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 5:29:53 PM

When I get the system out, I'll give the jumper situation a good rundown. I can't remember what all I tried the last time as far as jumper settings. I thought I had it right, but I really don't rememebr. Jorgenson, the guy who built this thing with me lives in Denmark now. He could make it run. He and only He.

EDIT for spelling. Sorry, my proof reader is in Denmark too.
!