Pc wont startup after new build

shaunyboy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
hi everyone,
i have just built a pc form various parts new and some untested.
everything has been double checked.gone to switch on for the first time,and nothing!.
i have tested the power supply,and during test the hardrive and dvd drive spins up,but no cpu fan etc.
when first pressing the power button (psu plugged in as normal),the cpu fan flicks for half a second(and led on fan comes on for half a second),but pc will not boot up.

on second attempt absolutley zilch happens,i have to unplug the power cord for a few seconds,then plug back in to get the half second light again?.
has anybody had same prob and found a solution???.
thank you in advance for any help.

shaunyboy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
just done another quick test with a power supply tester,now its only showing the +5vsb light on???

the psu came with the case and is new,so am i right asuming the power supply is faulty?.

shaunyboy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
yes i think your right.ive ordered a cheap psu so that i can see if that is the prob,nothing lost cos its handy to have a spare psu in cases like this.

i will let you know how i get on.thank you.

shaunyboy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
ive just been playing about with the conections between the psu and mobo,it seems there may be a bad conection somewhere?.
i can get it to a stage where fan kicks in,but im curious,why would the power led and the fan led be flashing as oposed to being constanly on as normal?.any ideas?.
(ps still waiting for a new psu to arrive so i can eliminate the psu as the problem)