Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help..can't get more than 2gb to work in ga-965g-ds3

Last response: in Motherboards
October 30, 2009 11:55:44 PM

I just loaded windows 7 and it worked fine. I decided to add more memory. I have 2 1gb corsair pc6400. I added 2 more of them and then computer starts to boot and before windows starts i get the blue screen of death. I tried the new chips by themselves and they work fine in either channel as do the old chips however the computer will not boot with all 4 in. So then i bought 2 new 2gb corsair pc6400 and computer will not boot at all with them in either slots? seems like no matter what configuration it will not boot with more than 2gb? any ideas?

More about : 2gb work 965g ds3

a c 177 V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 12:06:06 AM

I am downloading manuals as I write - can you tell me which rev (1.0, 2.0, or 3.3) you have, as there are two manuals - one for the 1.0, and another for 2.0 & 3.3, I'd like to know which to peruse :??: 
m
l
October 31, 2009 12:21:28 AM

i'm pretty sure its rev 1..i do not have the box and i cant see a rev number in the bios or on the bd...i recall it being rev 1
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2009 12:25:18 AM

i never tried to add more memory with vista so i dont know if windows 7 is a factor or not..i am running bios f5
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 12:54:10 AM

If anything, 7 is much better with hardware - trust me, I've tested extensively :na: 

The rev number should be in this corner of your board:
m
l
October 31, 2009 1:14:56 AM

thanks so much for your help. board is definitely rev 1.0 silkscreened right where you said... it seems odd that that even if i put the two new 2gb dimms in the same 2 slots that the current two 1gb dimms are it still doesnt work? (i am always trying 2 red slots or 2 yellow slots)..my original dims work fine in either the red or yellow..the new 1gb dimms also worked in red or yellow but not when all 4 slots had 1gb in them....2gb dimms dont work at all..however in all cases if i go into the bios it sees all 4gb memory but it still crashes to bsod..just after it says starting windows
m
l
October 31, 2009 1:35:45 AM

havent ried just a single 2gb dimm yet..my guess is it will work..no reason to think the dimms are bad
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 2:02:49 AM

Try this for starters: Put a single two gig DIMM in slot DDRII_1, boot, and execute the "Load Optimized Defaults" from the BIOS; saveexit, and reboot; power down and add the second DIMM; power back up and see what's up...
I'm winding down for the night, and may not return 'till the AM - to quote Douglas Adam's HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy - "Don't Panic!" - we'll get this &^%$ working yet!
m
l
October 31, 2009 2:07:10 AM

thanks...i'm winding down too..i will try that tomorrow and then post results...i really appreciate your help..by the way so far i love windows 7!!
m
l
October 31, 2009 2:41:03 AM

tried it..no go..single 2gb dimm..system booted fine..went into bios loaded optimized..booted again..fine..shutdown installed 2nd 2gb dimm in slot 3 (slot 1 and 3 are red 2 and 4 yellow) and got blue screen of death again..bios sees 4gb on main screen in bios but wont boot..almost like a software issue in windows?
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 12:54:09 PM

Download a copy of this, MemTest86+:
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memtest86+-4.00.is...
The file will unzip to an ISO image; in win 7 you can right click on it, select 'open with' > 'windows disc image burner' (oops - need a blank CD in the drive, first!), click the 'verify disc after burning', and it will make you a bootable, comprehensive RAM tester. Setup your BIOS with your CDROM in the boot order, by going to the "Advanced BIOS Features" page, and setting "First Boot Device" to "CDROM", and "Second Boot Device" to "Hard Disk" (will change it back later for boot speed - want it first as this may take us a while, and a lot of runs of MemTest...); put in one stick, boot to the CD, and let MemTest run a complete pass; then, power down and swap sticks - rinse, lather, repeat... What we want to do is 'qualify' the RAM, and make sure the BIOS' automatic adjustments are good, and the sticks themselves don't have a problem. Assuming they both 'pass' individually, then, put the two of 'em in, and run it again, to verify that your boot problem is actually memory related...

I can guarantee that win 7 will boot to 2, 4, or 8 gig of RAM with no problems (have tried them all) - haven't tested with 1, as I don't keep any 1G DIMMs around here - see 'em as pretty pointless... The problem that has led to an ols wive's 'net tale' about install problems with 8 G is not a windoze problem, it is the fact that large numbers of people with 8 gig don't have a rock solid stable 8 gig, and the win installers are a really good 'stress test' in and of themselves!
m
l
October 31, 2009 2:28:24 PM

got it..running first test now (using laptop to talk)..2gb dimm in slot 0 test takes awhile..been running 20 minutes so far..no errors...will keep you updated
m
l
October 31, 2009 3:39:13 PM

still no good...each 2g dimm passes by itself and when both in they both pass the full 40 minute test for 4gb of memeory but system still crashes to bsod and then reboots...same as it ever was...any other thoughts?
m
l
October 31, 2009 4:17:37 PM

hey bilbat i fixed it!!!! decided to try something drastic and dangerous...I upgraded the bios through the gigabyte @bios flash program..downloaded bios f9 (i was running f5)...then executed the gigabyte flash program called @bios...it flashes the bios while windows is up (scary) and then i shut it down..went right for the gold ring..stuck both 2gb dimms in and system botted right up!! all seems to work now...who knew!! thanks so much..let me know if there is somehting you want me to check to help understand..none of the bios updates says it address this issue but who knew!!
m
l

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 4:49:53 PM

Congratulations!
Quote:
none of the bios updates says it address this issue but who knew!!

Yeah - GB (and, well, everyone else in the business) is painfully sloppy about 'changelogs' for their BIOS; at least half the time, you have really no idea of what a new BIOS addresses... I do industrials, so I have to be 'anal retentive' about documentation; if they get sloppy, somebody's machine doesn't boot; if I get sloppy, an operator manages to cut off a hand!
Quote:
decided to try something drastic and dangerous

You've got that exactly right! @BIOS ruins more GB MOBOs than the next five causes combined. The problem appears to be that, unlike the BIOS' own flasher, or GB's FlashSPI, the @BIOS program is able to 'overwrite' the BIOS' bootblock, which, unfortunately, contains the code which does the DualBIOS 'recovery', to 'save' a defective flashing. Once this is done - the board is 'bricked', i.e., only good for propping open a door (and the actual brick does a much better job of that, too!), and the only fix is to wait for an RMA...

Comprehensive instructions for the other BIOS flashing methods are here:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios-flashing-how-qflas...

October 31, 2009 5:13:53 PM

i certainly am familar with the term "brick";)...i dont have a floppy drive on my computer so i went for it..i didnt realize how dangerous it was..i had saved a copy of my original bios and thought maybe i could use it to reflash back with an external floppy if it got bad..would that have been possible?
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 31, 2009 5:52:06 PM

Quote:
i had saved a copy of my original bios and thought maybe i could use it to reflash back with an external floppy if it got bad..would that have been possible?

Usually, not... There is a procedure called a 'blind flash', that will sometimes 'recover' a system with a badly trashed BIOS, but I think it, too, is dependent on having at least a partially intact boot block. The trick is, you need to have a floppy, and it needs to be first in your boot order before the disaster, as, once the thing goes down, you most likely can't enter the BIOS to set the floppy first! (I have often wondered if GB boards would accomodate setting a 'nonexistent' floppy as the first thing in the boot order - I guess it would be an easy experiment, as it would simply involve unplugging my floppy cable - ah well, one of these days when I 'have the box open' anyway... The big trick, at my age, is remembering to do it when I've got it open for something else, that's likely got my full attention at the time :heink:  It's amazing how much time I spend standing at the base of the basement stairs, trying to recall why I'm down there!) Another useful thing for disaster recovery is the fact that your BIOS will not only store CMOS sets of parameters to the set of 'storage slots' built into the BIOS, but will save them to an external device, like a floppy, or a USB stick; here's a piece from my 'standard overclocks' series:

Quote:
Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!
m
l
October 31, 2009 5:59:37 PM

thanks so much...been at the bottom of the stairs myself many times wonderin the same thing!! lol
m
l
!