EVGA GeForce GTX 260 with P5ND2-SLI mobo

kurakage

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I'm new here, hi :D

Two questions:

Will my P5ND2-SLI mobo be compatible with EVGA GeForce GTX 260 core216 video card?

My specs are:

Asus P5ND2-SLI mobo
Pentium D CPU 3ghz 3ghz
2gb ram (upping to 4)
2x nvidia 6600 LE SLI

The card will probably kill my current PSU (500w) so I will also order a Corsair TX750W PSU, will this PSU sufficiently run the GTX260?

thanks in advance!

UberGenocide

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

your motherboard should support the card, so yes

a 750 watt is more than enough for a 260, so yes

can you give me a link to your motherboard specs plz

What resoloution are you using? Will you be upgrading the CPU in the near future?
What PSU do you have and what is its output on the 12v line/s?
I'd suggest saving some cash and getting a GTS250 instead, the GTX260 is just too fast and will be limited by the CPU.
If your powersupply has 36A or more on the 12v rail/s then it will run a GTS250.

kurakage

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Your current PSU will run a GTS250.
Obviously, the GTX260 is faster, but you will also need the larger PSU to run it.
I asked about the CPU because some upgrade on a rolling basis, changing parts every so often rather than building new.
No, the CPU is not that bad, but it is going to be too weak to power a GTX260 to its full extent. My C2D needed to run well beyond 3.2 GHz to feed a HD4870 (similar to the GTX260) and the C2D is a far more efficient processor.

Check the benchmarks here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Albatron/HD_4830_Green/6.html

With a little luck they have a few games you play in their benchmark suite and you can compare the known performance of your current setup with the GTX260 and GTS250 (amongst others).

kurakage

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hmm. i see. I just checked the reqs for the GTS250 and it needs a 450W PSU with 12v 24A

I'll probably still need to upgrade my PSU?

I don't mind spending on a PSU or 100$ more on a GTX 260 but would my CPU limit the GTX 260 so much that a GTS 250 would be faster? I want something that would last me at least another 3 years.

It's not quite like that, mate.
The CPU has to provide the GPU with data for the GPU to render. If the CPU is slow and the GPU is fast, the GPU will spend time waiting data to arrive. If the CPU is fast and the GPU is slow, then the CPU will be idle, waiting to send data to the GPU.
In a perfect world, the two will match and neither will be kept waiting by the other.
My point (after all that) is your CPU cannot keep up with a GTX260.
BUT...
You want to keep it for a while so the way is simple: Get the fastest card you can afford, that way your systems' CPU, MB and RAM could 'grow into it' as it were.
Also, at 16x10, even though the card will be held back by the CPU, you can make things a bit sweeter by applying AA/AF and set the quality to 'you HAVE to be joking' levals, which will give the card extra work, (slowing it down and making your games look much better:)).

Seprroud

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I noticed that the mobo doesnt seem to be PCI -Express 2.0 but I belive the GTX 260 is. Will that matter? I have been looking for that awenser all night. I have a 680i sli LT mobo that I would like to put a GTX 260 into if it does not matter.