Solved

Intel or amd cpu FOR GAMING

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
August 16, 2009 12:20:54 AM

I've heard a lot of people saying i7 crashes freezes and has problems and they've told me to go with amd phenom. personally and overall i7 performs better but if it is a cpu im gonna have a problem with should i go with amd cause i've heard its a pretty fast chip and id be overclocking either one that i got

My choices would be between Intel:i7 920 or AMD:p henom x4 965

More about : intel amd cpu gaming

a b à CPUs
August 16, 2009 12:35:02 AM

Who's been telling you that the i7 crashes and freezes? I have an i7, and it is rock solid. No trouble whatsoever. The Phenom is a cheaper setup, the i7 will be faster. Either will work well though - they're both good chips.
m
l
August 16, 2009 12:43:25 AM

It could be ambient temp related, as I know using the stock cooler on i7 with higher ambients, can be a no no
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2009 12:53:48 AM

The person who told me builds custom pc's and he says that he has people coming in with them with probs but yeah I think it would be the temps
m
l
August 16, 2009 12:56:50 AM

I'm pretty sure almost all the members at Tom's build their own PC's. The i7 is a great processor, but if you do not have nice heatsink and if your overclocked, that could probably cause a problem.
m
l

Best solution

August 16, 2009 12:57:15 AM

Im talking about, say living in Texas, where room temps can be 90+F, and have seen a few people discussing thats the reason why, but other than that, I havnt seen anything else.
The i7 does fine in gaming, but purely for gaming, theres cheaper alternatives
August 16, 2009 1:14:50 AM

yeah he's a guy i usallly consult id be going with a high end air cooler for OCing possibly the prolimatech meg. temps in my room only reach about 80 max in summer since im upstairs right next to attic

m
l
August 16, 2009 1:25:30 AM

If yuo use a good hsf, I wouldnt worry about any cpu, other than the normal ocing and temps.
To me, it all comes down to pocketbook, usage and ends there.
If an i7 is within your price range, I wouldnt rule it out. If , however youd want a few more things, or just better upgraded other parts, and want to save for that, and its strictly for gaming, saving on the cpu may do you well also, as like I said, for gaming theres cheaper alternatives
m
l
August 16, 2009 1:43:03 AM

yeah im probably gonna spend 1800-1900 bucks on my build im gonna be doing pure gaming and some movies
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2009 2:18:50 AM

Clearly with that budget going the Core i7 route easily is the way to go.I would only consider AMD for budget builds under $1,000 or less.Don't skimp on getting a cheap heatsink/fan either.Surprisingly in the Pacific Northwest of the United States where I live last month on just one day (which was a record) the temperature reached 104 degrees F.
m
l
August 16, 2009 3:25:40 AM

cjl said:
Who's been telling you that the i7 crashes and freezes? I have an i7, and it is rock solid. No trouble whatsoever. The Phenom is a cheaper setup, the i7 will be faster. Either will work well though - they're both good chips.

That's true.. both are excellent cpus, but i7 is a lot better, but in other hand i have amd 940 and overclocked to 3.4 ghz and i can compare speeds to not overclocked i7 940, i know it has 3.0 ghz anyway for amd and it price it is awesome.. still in ddr2..
like CJL said both are good..
m
l
August 16, 2009 3:28:15 AM

Catman224 said:
I've heard a lot of people saying i7 crashes freezes and has problems and they've told me to go with amd phenom. personally and overall i7 performs better but if it is a cpu im gonna have a problem with should i go with amd cause i've heard its a pretty fast chip and id be overclocking either one that i got

My choices would be between Intel:i7 920 or AMD:p henom x4 965

go with phenom 965 no doubt.. i7 920 is a bit outperformed by this chip and still you can get better gpu.. phenom 965 is better then i7 920.. no doubt
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2009 4:22:30 AM

i7 920... beats the 965 in every way hands down. =/ (except maybe some benches that rely on ghz speed while you're at stock clocks)With that budget you can get a nice system, just throw a nice heatsink on that i7 and OC it to 4ghz (1.34ghz increase!!!), then laugh at Phenom-II and C2Q, don't settle for second best when you can afford it.

Or wait a little bit for i5, those are sure to throw the market through a loop, your call in the end.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2009 5:34:29 AM

I agree with Raidur don't be misled about the 965 BE.I recently obtained a 955 BE on sale last month and I fully recognize that Core i7 outperforms the 965 BE and 955 BE easily.I am only building a 955 BE system as an extra budget (under $1,000) system.In fact I am trying to keep the total costs under $800.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2009 6:04:07 AM

I havn't heard anything about i7 freezing tho they are a pretty hot chip ... so if an idiot put one in a cheap box with poor cooling then they get what they deserve.

If your spending the kind of money your suggesting then I recommend an i7920, a watercooling rig, get a 1Kw PSU and 6Gb of good ram - look for some specials on graphics card so you can get a couple under SLI or CF.

Look at the games you want to play and check the graphics reviews here which are pretty good - both ATI and NVidia have strengths on different games.

With i5 about to hit there will likely be a shakeup on the lower end of the i7 cpus - so it might pay to wait a few weeks.

Good luck !
m
l
August 16, 2009 7:30:49 AM

The thread where I saw this was more aimed at overall heat issues, not the i7 messing up.
Overall, i7 is the best.
Gaming?, its just another contender
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2009 2:39:00 PM

If the CPU just "froze" I'm sure we'd know about it already. The media love to slam manufacturers for anything they can, and end user reports would have shown this more as well. I'll pick the heat option as well.
m
l
!