Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Copy/Cloning.

Last response: in Storage
January 4, 2011 5:45:50 PM

So i have searched abit on this, and got some solutions. but of course as this is a serious and lengthy task, i would rather ask here from professionals than going ahead by reading instruction and all :na: .

Mobo= 2 Sata: 1 free, 1 writer. 1 Eide: Primary hdd1 40gig, Slave hdd2 320gig. [New: 80gig ide. (hdd3)].

I need to copy my current data from my hdd1 to the new hdd3. and vice versa. Yes. I need some prog that can make a exact clone of the drives (hdd1 and 3) on my hdd2 (to put on respective ones). Easeus says it will erase all data on the one its making a clone, which i dont want as i will die. What do you suggest? I need to make a clone of both the hdd's. The hdd1 and hdd3. The clone from hdd1 will go on hdd3 and the clone from hdd3 will go on hdd1. Both have enough space for each other. How can i accomplish that? The hdd1 is my windows hdd. running Vista ultimate 32bit. The hdd3 has win xp. Damn i need some answers quick :pt1cable:  as this is a lengthy task and i want to accomplish it quick. I have already made an Easeus boot disk but dont think i will use it cuz it will erase data for which i am not, NOT! at all ready!. Talk about losing your life, all of it :sarcastic:  .

... and how many of you are satisfied by cloning hdd's to other? Do you see any performance loss? crashes? abnormalities? Anything not functioning properly? If yes then this cloning is worthless.

More about : copy cloning

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 5, 2011 12:57:21 AM

AFAIK, no matter what cloning software you use, the destination hdd will be erased to receive files from the source. So when you clone hdd1 on hdd3, all data from hdd3 will be gone. It is not possible to keep the data. The only option is to use another hdd as temp drive.
a b G Storage
January 5, 2011 1:36:20 AM

the only way i can think of doing this is getting a temp drive like electrontau said.

Clone hdd1 onto the temp drive
Clone hdd3 onto hdd 1
Clone temp drive onto hdd3
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 5, 2011 3:30:04 AM

oh man. I cant get a temp drive now... guess have to copy serious data off from hdd3 then format.
January 5, 2011 6:46:11 AM

Some more questions.

So after booting in to easeus, i selected full disc etc etc and it started copying but the thing nagging me is why is it making a full copy of it on the drive like 37gB of one partition and the left free space for other partitions. Cant i/it just copy data to other drive without making new partitions? (i dont want to use partition magic or g-parted after this ffs). Do i select the other option in the start menu?

and can i copy data to hdd without reformatting it. i.e Unformatted hdd.

as before, anyone who has done this before. please do tell your experience with it.
a b G Storage
January 5, 2011 3:02:37 PM

when you clone a 40GB hdd on a 100GB hdd, it will make excat duplicate of the source drive. So it will only use 40 out of 100GB, and leave the rest as allocated. Hence the name clone.

I use similar program, Acronis, and it does the same thing.
January 9, 2011 12:24:35 PM

Ah no prob man. It was easy as going to hell :p . Took 50 some minutes. Then after 30 minutes of putting things back to where they were, Booted fine and from disk management chose to extend the partition. So damn easy. Everything runs like milk. From 3.9 to 5.3. :D  nice big improvement. The 320gig gives 5.9. Hail Easeus.
January 9, 2011 12:25:10 PM

Best answer selected by Fetal.
!