Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Non system disk or disk error

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
October 16, 2011 3:09:31 AM

Hello,
Help My computer wason and had programs open. I shut off the screen. Awile later I walked by and heard asound from the tower as if it was doing something. I turned on the screen andn it says "non system disk or disk error
replace and strike any key when ready." I have no idea what came before this. It was fine when I left it hours ago.

Any ideas?

More about : system disk disk error

October 16, 2011 1:34:56 PM

aserr7 said:
Hello,
Help My computer wason and had programs open. I shut off the screen. Awile later I walked by and heard asound from the tower as if it was doing something. I turned on the screen andn it says "non system disk or disk error
replace and strike any key when ready." I have no idea what came before this. It was fine when I left it hours ago.

Any ideas?


Can you replicate the error ? (Does it happen if you turn off the monitor again) ? You should use power options to shut down monitor in an orderly fashion, after a certain period of inactivity.
m
0
l
January 11, 2012 2:56:20 PM

ksiemb said:
Can you replicate the error ? (Does it happen if you turn off the monitor again) ? You should use power options to shut down monitor in an orderly fashion, after a certain period of inactivity.



Thanks for responding, I didn't see it until now.

I was able to shut it down, and it opened up fine, and has not happened again.

Could you explain "You should use power options to shut down monitor in an orderly fashion, after a certain period of inactivity."?

It's a work computer, and we are shutting doen the business, so it's very impportant that I can retrieve information for the final accounting. I don't want to mess anything up?

Thanks,
Anne
aserr7@aol.com
m
0
l
Related resources
January 11, 2012 3:15:18 PM

aserr7 said:
Thanks for responding, I didn't see it until now.

I was able to shut it down, and it opened up fine, and has not happened again.

Could you explain "You should use power options to shut down monitor in an orderly fashion, after a certain period of inactivity."?

It's a work computer, and we are shutting doen the business, so it's very impportant that I can retrieve information for the final accounting. I don't want to mess anything up?

Thanks,
Anne
aserr7@aol.com

Then check with your company tech, especially if it is a work station on a network
m
0
l
January 21, 2012 2:11:16 AM

Thanks again for responding. Again, I didn't get back to looking for a reply until I was emailed by the site. I have so many things going on here that my head is spinning.

Small business. No tech. Paid guy big bucks to set up and maintain our system over the years. Company now closed. I have the computer at home, and still have to finish posting stuff, and run a final disk tosend to the accountant to do the final tax return.

It was a network computer. A couple of years ago the server bit the dust, and since we couldn't afford a new one, the guy made the office manager's computer the server. That is the one I have. When I brought it home, I had a friend's son help me get it set up over the phone. I remember him walking me through changing settings, because at first the printer wouldn't work because it was looking for the network. So, I suppose there could be others settings in there messing things up, but it has been working except for the time I mentioned above, and a few times it groans. So I'm afriad the hardware could be going.

So anyway, I can't afford to pay someone to go over this whole thing. I just need to be able to get my info out before it all crashes for good. It is being backup up everynight on a tape, but I would have no idea how to get the info out if I needed to.

Thanks again, Anne
m
0
l
January 21, 2012 5:48:05 AM

aserr7 said:
Thanks again for responding. Again, I didn't get back to looking for a reply until I was emailed by the site. I have so many things going on here that my head is spinning.

Small business. No tech. Paid guy big bucks to set up and maintain our system over the years. Company now closed. I have the computer at home, and still have to finish posting stuff, and run a final disk tosend to the accountant to do the final tax return.

It was a network computer. A couple of years ago the server bit the dust, and since we couldn't afford a new one, the guy made the office manager's computer the server. That is the one I have. When I brought it home, I had a friend's son help me get it set up over the phone. I remember him walking me through changing settings, because at first the printer wouldn't work because it was looking for the network. So, I suppose there could be others settings in there messing things up, but it has been working except for the time I mentioned above, and a few times it groans. So I'm afriad the hardware could be going.

So anyway, I can't afford to pay someone to go over this whole thing. I just need to be able to get my info out before it all crashes for good. It is being backup up everynight on a tape, but I would have no idea how to get the info out if I needed to.

Thanks again, Anne

@Anne: Groans ? - Too Funny ! - Anyhow lets hope you get your final work done quickly, and the "groan" is not the Hard drive going bad on you.

A message saying to insert a system disk normally means the computer has attempted to reboot (startup) again and could not find the necessary files to do so. Why it would restart while unattended is anyone's guess.

But, you may want to run the following from a command prompt This will check / fix hard drive errors if it finds any Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > then command prompt. Then enter following into the command prompt window that opens:
chkdsk /r

My original post meant that in Control Panel you can click on power options to select a period of inactivity after which the monitor will shut off to conserve energy, rather than manually turning it off. When you return to the computer and if monitor is off, just move the mouse & it will turn back on. You may do the same thing for hard drive, but if the "Groan" was actually the hard drive, I suggest leaving or making that setting "never", as the most critical time for a hard drive is starting it up, so you don't want to be doing that any more than necessary. Hope this helps.
m
0
l
January 21, 2012 6:28:10 AM

So, the network thing was not an issue, huh?

My monitor is never shut off by the power button. It sort of goes to sleep and wakes up again when you move the mouse. The computer is always on unless I would turn it off for some reason, like when an occasional odd thing happens, and I find myself somewhere beyond the murky depths of the mysterious C prompt. I took a DOS class years ago, and all I can remember is if you did something wrong you can wipe out the whole hard drive. -- I believe that if you would hit control/Alt and Delte, you could also do major damage. So, I've always been afraid of that. Now since windows, people do that all the time, and I still cringe in fear. It amazes me to watch the little kids intuitively pushing all kinds of buttons fearlessly.

So, if I understand you right, it's set the best way it can be, and don't shut it off unless you have to, right? I just checked the Power Options, and the monitor says 20 minutes, and the computer never, and system standby never. What is system standby?

By the way, I have a 3 year old laptop that I use, and the monitor is never off. 'When our first laptop monitor went dead it was the end of the computer. Are they better now, or should I change that?

I think I don't have the guts to try running that chkdisk thing, because if I have a problem with it I'll really be in trouble, I don't have the computer guy to call anymore if that happens, But I will go over there and backup my Peachtree data to a disk.

Thanks!
Anne
m
0
l
January 21, 2012 7:10:24 AM

aserr7 said:
So, the network thing was not an issue, huh?

My monitor is never shut off by the power button. It sort of goes to sleep and wakes up again when you move the mouse. The computer is always on unless I would turn it off for some reason, like when an occasional odd thing happens, and I find myself somewhere beyond the murky depths of the mysterious C prompt. I took a DOS class years ago, and all I can remember is if you did something wrong you can wipe out the whole hard drive. -- I believe that if you would hit control/Alt and Delte, you could also do major damage. So, I've always been afraid of that. Now since windows, people do that all the time, and I still cringe in fear. It amazes me to watch the little kids intuitively pushing all kinds of buttons fearlessly.

So, if I understand you right, it's set the best way it can be, and don't shut it off unless you have to, right? I just checked the Power Options, and the monitor says 20 minutes, and the computer never, and system standby never. What is system standby?

By the way, I have a 3 year old laptop that I use, and the monitor is never off. 'When our first laptop monitor went dead it was the end of the computer. Are they better now, or should I change that?

I think I don't have the guts to try running that chkdisk thing, because if I have a problem with it I'll really be in trouble, I don't have the computer guy to call anymore if that happens, But I will go over there and backup my Peachtree data to a disk.

Thanks!
Anne

You said in your original post you shut off the screen, now you say you never shut it off. - Oh well.....
Leave your settings as they are. And don't use standby. That has more problems starting back up than I can mention.

Monitors and laptop displays are only warranted for so many hours of usage. Yes, set the monitor settings on the laptop also.
And, if you choose not to run chkdsk, fine by me !
Hopefully it was just a glitch, but funny sounds coming from unit cannot be good. Anyway, I have done my thing, Good Luck !
m
0
l
January 21, 2012 7:23:19 AM

Can't believe you're up as late as me.

Sorry, I can't remember for sure now. I think it was the whole computer not the screen only,

Yes, your are right, I just tried to make a backup cd, and the tray keeps popping back out, and all kinds of funny stuff. I was able to put theh backup on a thumb drive though.

Yes, you've done your thing, and It Was Good !

Thanks again for your patience, Good Night!
Anne
m
0
l
!