Installing aftermarket heatsink....use an ERASER for install ?

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Hey guys, I pre-ordered the accellero 4870x2 from arctic cooling and I downloaded their installation documents to see what I was going to have to do, and part of the instructions state that I should "clean the memory and voltage regulator chips with an eraser carefully" Here is a link to the install guide if you want to have a quick look:http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/images/install_acceleroxtreme_4870X2.pdf

Anyways, I've installed a few aftermarket vid card coolers before but I never heard of using an eraser on a video card. Does anyone know if just using alcohol would be fine ? Or do you really think I should go find an eraser. So please tell me, what have you guys done to clean the memory and voltlage regulators, thanks.

BTW the cooler should be here by the 4th, and I will have some temp. results posted as soon as I get this bad boy installed, so look for that. :sol:

snow cakes

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
to play it safe, just use the eraser first which will dry up and rub off most of the crap, and then use alcohol to finish it off.. think that will be sufficient enough for it, if you can't find an eraser alcohol will be fine just make sure you get everything off the heatsinks..:)

I have always used a coarse paper towel (or cloth if it's really stubborn) and pure (not rubbing) alcohol for the initial clean and a paper tissue with alcohol to finish.
Coarse cloth=an old pair of jeans from which I cut a small square for each operation.