Sign in with
Your question

File shareing problem

Last response: in Networking
August 21, 2009 5:05:59 AM

i have 2 routers, a switch and a modem
the modem is connected to the internet
router 1 (dlink) is connected to the modem
switch is connected to router 1 and has a bunch of pc's running off it and the wifi of router 1

now i have a second wifi router (netgear) to add a few more ports, it is connected to router 1
my internet works fine and the wifi is good too

my problem is when i try to use file shareing or print something on a device running of router 1 or the switch

any suggestions would be appriciated
Geek2.0

More about : file shareing problem

Anonymous
August 21, 2009 10:47:42 AM

If you're really Geek2.0 you should be able to figure it out. Think about non-routable IP addresses.

Grumpy
m
l
Anonymous
August 21, 2009 2:12:03 PM

THe Dlink is natting to probably 192.168.0.x. Then your wireless router is taking that address and natting to probably 192.168.1.x or another natted subnet. You can't route traffic between two nonroutable subnets.

So you have a few options - run the cable modem straight to the wireless router, then run the switch after the wireless router. then everything is on the wireless routers subnet. Do you need the dlink router? I'm guessing no.

If you do for some reason need the dlink, you can see if your wireless router can have the firmware replaced by something like ddwrt. Then you can set the wireless up as a dumb repeater instead of a firewall/router.

Does that help?
m
l
August 21, 2009 10:05:22 PM

thanks for your help fahlenkp
but i just got it all working
i went to net gears website and went to the page for my router and on the main support p[age for it, it had step by step instructions on how to turn it into a switch.
i followed these and sure enough i can use file shareing print shareing and even vnc

Cheers
Geek2.0
m
l
!