ATI 4850 error, could it be the power supply?

udprod

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Dear Tom's Hardware.

I've followed this site inactively for quite some time, but if I'm right on this I think my knowledge is good enough to help other people.

Now to the problem:

I recently changed PC's and I'm having troubles while using my ATI 4850. When I've been in graphic mode for about ten minutes, my monitor turns black and my speakers say "FLAKFLAKFLAFK" like a machine gun. I then have to reboot my PC by holding the power button.

At first I thought it was the drivers, so I've tried about ten different drivers with the same result. And now I read that the recommended power supply for my card is a minimum of 450 watt. My current one is on 350.

My system runs COMPLETLY fine with my old card, the 8600 GT.

Could this be the reason?

My system specs are:

System tab
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Proffessional (5.1, build 2600)
Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50 GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 3070 MB RAM
DirectX Version: Direct X 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Display tab
Device Name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6936 (Engelsk)
Driver Date: 16-03-2009 22:26:14
Driver DDI Version: ati2mtag.sys
DirectDraw Acceleration: Activated
Direct3D Acceleration: Activated
AGP Texture Acceleration: Activated

Thanks ALOT in advance.

Sounds like it to me what would be happening is the card is trying to draw more power than the PSU can comfortably provide which makes the card get hot and also stresses the PSU.
So one of two things is happening, Either the card is overheating and shutting down or the PSU is shutting down. Either way its not a good thing to keep letting happen as it could very easily end up frying the whole system. usually its either the Card or the PSU but its been known to fry the motherboard and every thing else as well. Not trying to scare you just giving you the facts.

I would definatly get a better PSU in there quick something like an Antec or Corsair unit would be good between 450 and 500 Watts.

Mactronix

udprod

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hi Mactronix.

Thanks for your answers.

I'm going to switch it out with a 450 watt I had lying here somewhere.

Thanks deeply, I hope it works

The 450 could even not work or have instability at certain times. The key for graphics cards is the amperage of the 12V rail. Once you find the new PSU, post what that amperage is. Also, older/poorer quality PSUs often put out less than rated.

Well some would probably say that it may not have enough Amps but i think it will be fine, the card actually use around 110 Watts which is 9. something Amps. The card wont draw all its power from the power lead as the slot gives up to 75 watts as well so the power draw will be split between the two.
Personally i would have no issues with using it myself.

Mactronix

Assuming it outputs at its rating, that probably should be ok. I had a slightly stronger PS that could almost run a 2900XT (which uses a ton more power) and the rest of your system is pretty low power draw, so it probably will work. Good Luck.