Your question

Best/Simplest Process To Overclock My i5 750 CPU

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i5
Last response: in Overclocking
March 11, 2011 6:32:24 PM

I built my system over a year ago now with the i5 750 CPU installed. I haven't done any overclocking and am now ready to do it. Some of the games I've been playing are more CPU intensive now and I'd like to see if overclocking would make a noticeable difference. I have an ASUS p7p55d-e pro mobo. Is there a simple process to follow to help me do this? I'd love a visual walkthrough but will try anything.

BTW: I do have a CM Hyper 212+ heatsink installed to cool the CPU also.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

- manooly

More about : simplest process overclock 750 cpu

a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 9:25:36 PM

Would be great to know your full system specs, and also in regards to RAM, what their recommended speed and timings are.
m
l
Related resources
March 11, 2011 10:38:05 PM

Here are my specs...

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
- ASUS p7p55d-e pro
- G.skill 4GB DDR3 1600hz RAM (7-8-7-24-2N timings)
- CM Hyper 212+ heatsink
- i5 750 2.66Ghz CPU
- 1GB XFX HD Radeon 5870 GPU
- 2/500GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200rpm hdds
- 24x Sony Optiarc DVD/CD drive
- NZXT sentry 2 fan controller
- Antec 1200 chassis
- XFX Black Edition 850w PSU

Hope that helps! Thanks!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 11:08:08 PM

Ok well if you simply plugged it all in and went with it, then more than likely your RAM is running at 1333mhz right now. The easiest first step to overclocking is set your base clock to 160. The base clock affects CPU, QPI, and RAM speed. You don't have to worry too much about QPI speed. But by going to 160 base clock you'll gain a nice boost in CPU speed, and then you can set your RAM to 10x multiplier (6, 8, and 10 being the available options) and that'll give you 1600mhz. Then go into the timings sub menu and set the timings. You'll also have to set the DRAM voltage to 1.65V (assuming). For the small increase to 160 you can leave Vcore and IMC voltages on auto, although it would be good practice here to try and do it manually.

At a guess, it'll only need 1.18V Vcore and 1.1V IMC but maybe a bit more or less. Keep in mind the absolute max voltages Intel states is 1.4V for both.

Anyway after you make changes you want to check them. I like Intel Burn Test as it stresses the CPU and RAM a lot. If it passes you're ok, if it fails then you need more voltage on the CPU. Technically it could be the RAM is unstable, and this is why you would normally underclock the RAM when trying to determine CPU stability (for example set it to 8x or 6x RAM multiplier).

Just watch temps while you do this, I like Real Temp and HWMonitor.

That's kind of the basics. THere's a bit more to it, but there's a lot of guides on it and you should definitely read some until you feel comfortable with it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 11:08:58 PM

Have u read the guide that I provided ? What do you think
m
l
!