Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Would Corsair tx650w work for HD4870 CrossFire?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Hard Drives
  • Corsair
  • Crossfire
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
August 16, 2009 7:28:04 AM

Hey

Just wondering if you guys think a Corsair tx650w would be adequate to run this system?
Or would i need to up the PSU to a Corsair tx750w or similar?


Intel Core2 Due E8400 (3.00ghz, 1333mhz fsb)

Asus P5Q PRO motherboard. fsb:1600mhz

Ram: 4x 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC-8500

HDD: Seagate: 500GB, SATAII, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache (possibility of 2nd harddrive in the future)

Graphics: two ATI HD 4870 512mb (CrossFire)

disc drive: 1x DVD-RW



any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Joe

More about : corsair tx650w work hd4870 crossfire

a b ) Power supply
August 16, 2009 8:36:40 AM

Better get 750TX.
August 16, 2009 9:02:29 AM

As I see your system isn't overclocked and it's "Only" a dual core I say the 650 can handle 2 4870
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 16, 2009 10:24:42 AM

With the 750TX you have the scope to oevrclock.
But If you get 650TX you won't be able to overclock the cards(but you can overclock the CPU)
August 16, 2009 10:42:47 AM

Oh they actually have the 4870 in cf aswell..
August 16, 2009 12:18:15 PM

Quote:
i dont think u can run two of em good.i have 1000watt for 2 9800gtx's



That is a complete waste of watts. Tom's made a tri-SLI GTX260 rig a while ago, the entire thing used only 800 watts.

You will be fine running 2xHD4870's with a Corsair 650TX.
August 16, 2009 12:46:37 PM

650 is easily enough. My 4870x2 crossfirex rig with an overclocked i7 and 3 hard drives only pulls something like 800W full load (I'm using a Corsair HX1000). With a pair of 4870s and a 45nm Wolfdale, you'd be hard pressed to exceed 500W no matter how much you overclock.

Oh, and to the poster above with a 1kw and a pair of 9800 GTXs, that's way, way overkill. You only ever need a 1kw PSU for highly overclocked tri/quad GPU setups.
a c 86 ) Power supply
August 16, 2009 1:12:42 PM

cjl said:
650 is easily enough. My 4870x2 crossfirex rig with an overclocked i7 and 3 hard drives only pulls something like 800W full load (I'm using a Corsair HX1000). With a pair of 4870s and a 45nm Wolfdale, you'd be hard pressed to exceed 500W no matter how much you overclock.

Oh, and to the poster above with a 1kw and a pair of 9800 GTXs, that's way, way overkill. You only ever need a 1kw PSU for highly overclocked tri/quad GPU setups.

+1
I mean 350(at the wall) is about the tops for my single 4870 Q6600 6 hard drive system. Add another 190 at the wall(this is a guess based on a 78% efficiency) for a second 4870 and the total is still 540 at the wal. Assuming 78% efficiency(guessing its actually better then that) again you looking at about 422 watts, and that would be with a quad core system, I think you will be good.
a c 248 ) Power supply
August 16, 2009 2:03:54 PM

I just checked some of my reference material. Two ATI Radeon HD 4870 video graphics cards operating in Crossfire mode use a combined total of about 295 watts and 25 amps at full load. All of the reference material I checked clearly indicated the two cards use a combined total of less than 300 watts. That's not much compared to some of the other video cards. In addition, the rest of your system does not use very much power either. The Corsair TX650 is rated at 650 watts and has a single large 12 volt rail rated at 52 amps. As other poster have already pointed out it can easily power your system.
a b ) Power supply
August 16, 2009 4:22:41 PM

Get the TX750 because it has the required PCIe connectors.
a b ) Power supply
August 16, 2009 9:39:49 PM

If you're buying new with only a $20 difference, why get the 650w? It might be fine for your system now, but what if you add a few HDs, overclock both the CPU and GPUs, fans, lights, cooler? What if you upgrade in a year to 4890s,5870s or 5890s? Spend the extra $20 now and get some headroom for future increases. If you already have the tx650w then keep it.
August 16, 2009 10:43:29 PM

From what i read here it appears that it would be best for me to go for the tx750w to give me extra room for:

- OC (most likely processor only)

- extra harddrive

- Intel quad core processor update

- and the tx650 doesn't have the required 4x 6-pin connectors.

Before i go ahead and buy tx750 i have one final question:
is 750w over kill for this and is the a lower wattage, lower price option from some like PC power and cooling or antec that any one knows of?

Thanks for all the help and advice from everyone so far and thank you also for any still to come.

regards,
joe
a c 86 ) Power supply
August 16, 2009 11:07:16 PM

thepigeon said:
From what i read here it appears that it would be best for me to go for the tx750w to give me extra room for:

- OC (most likely processor only)

Pushing a Q6600 from 3.0 to 3.6 bumps power use by almost 100 watts(load, at the wall, not worth it to me).


thepigeon said:

- extra harddrive

Minimal power increse, but there is not such thing as too much, I was just saying your old psu should work if needed

thepigeon said:

- Intel quad core processor update

Yeah, get it :p 

thepigeon said:

- and the tx650 doesn't have the required 4x 6-pin connectors.

Adapters can allow the cards to work still.

thepigeon said:

Before i go ahead and buy tx750 i have one final question:
is 750w over kill for this and is the a lower wattage, lower price option from some like PC power and cooling or antec that any one knows of?

Overkill does not exist, almost all PSU's are at peek efficiency at about 50-55% load(thats 100+ % if it was fanless)

Depending on the sales, you can find many power supplies cheaper, its your call, both the psu you have now and that are very well made and quiet.
August 16, 2009 11:37:44 PM

there seems to be some confusion here.... i dont as yet have psu for my system and the graphics card are being shipped today and needs to be ordered etc..... this is a new system, im not upgrading.

(the 2nd graphic card i will order in few month wen i have bit more cash to throw around.)

thxs nukemaster some very helpful advice.

taking onboard what everyone has said i think i will go ahead and get the corsair tx750w as it will give me scope to upgrade and/or overclock parts.

thanks very much to everyone who posted

cheers guys,
joe
a c 86 ) Power supply
August 17, 2009 12:59:02 AM

thepigeon said:
there seems to be some confusion here.... i dont as yet have psu for my system and the graphics card are being shipped today and needs to be ordered etc..... this is a new system, im not upgrading.

(the 2nd graphic card i will order in few month wen i have bit more cash to throw around.)

thxs nukemaster some very helpful advice.

taking onboard what everyone has said i think i will go ahead and get the corsair tx750w as it will give me scope to upgrade and/or overclock parts.

thanks very much to everyone who posted

cheers guys,
joe

my bad, thought you had the 650 already. Thats why i said to just keep it on my first post.
August 17, 2009 1:25:42 AM

thepigeon said:
Hey

Just wondering if you guys think a Corsair tx650w would be adequate to run this system?
Or would i need to up the PSU to a Corsair tx750w or similar?


Intel Core2 Due E8400 (3.00ghz, 1333mhz fsb)

Asus P5Q PRO motherboard. fsb:1600mhz

Ram: 4x 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC-8500

HDD: Seagate: 500GB, SATAII, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache (possibility of 2nd harddrive in the future)

Graphics: two ATI HD 4870 512mb (CrossFire)

disc drive: 1x DVD-RW



any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Joe


My system has the exact same hardware his does except I overclock. I went with with the tx750 because later on i plan to try out cs with another 4870 and it does have plenty of cables to many..lol go with corsairs modular 750 if you can swing it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but for the price difference I didn't mind the extra cabling...lol
a c 157 ) Power supply
August 17, 2009 4:25:32 PM

Here is a link to the official AMD 4870 psu requirements:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...
a 600 watt psu with (4) 6 pin pci-e connectors.

The corsair 650 is a very good unit, and qualifies on the wattage, but fails on the connector issue, having only two.
The 4870 cards will come with molex to pcie adapters, but I don't like to have to use them.
I suggest that you look at one of the quality 750 watt units that are designed to be used with 4 connectors.
It is not a negative to have some extra power available. A psu will operate most efficiently at less than it's maximum capability.
!