2600k Gigabyte H67A-UD3H Noob Questions

suntower

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Be gentle, it's my first time. :D

I'm a music composer and I've never o/c'd before because, frankly, this ain't a game (no pun intended). Reliability is paramount since this is my living.

But I just got this new mobo and for kicks I tried inching the multiplier from 34 to 38 and after booting I experienced a NOTICEABLE difference with my music software (Cubase, Pro Tools). This surprised me. I didn't realise that such a small clock bump would make quite such a difference.

Anyhoo, I adjusted nothing but the multiplier. And on this mobo, you can't increase it beyond 38 (at least not without changing some other settings of which I know -nothing-.

I read the intro topic on O/C with the 2600k---which refers to MSI boards. I'm wondering if someone can give me some Gigabyte specific recommendations on how to proceed. The benefits seem to be worth some experimentation---just so long as I'm not doing anything risky.

What impresses me about this mobo and the 2600k is how QUIET the thing is... even with the stock cooler. The fan barely makes any noise (Antec Sonata with single fan) and it typically runs @ > 43C. I don't want to jinx that.

But if I can get even more bang without too much extra risk, I'm game to experiment.

Guidance?

And a couple of specific questions:
1. Is there a rule of thumb for predicting performance increase as the frequency increases? IOW: It would appear that going from 34 to 38 is not merely a 9% performance boost in Cubase (as I would've expected.) It -seems- to be much more.

2. What is the max heat I should stop at in order to remain conservative? Back in the 'old' days, my Athlon machines routinely ran > 70 with no apparent ill effects. I'm sure things have changed, right?

Sorry if these are such noob questions. I'll be happy with just some links to reading material if this has been answered a 1,000 times before.

TIA,

---JC

Solution
Sorry buddy, I hate to be the one to tell you this...

You bought the wrong mainboard if you want to overclock. You've already reached the maximum of what that board is capable of.

The H67 chipset can only overclock +400MHz Turbo. That's what you have already done.

The P67 chipset can overclock to a maximum of 57x multiplier or whatever your particular CPU is capable of, whichever is lower. This is what you should have bought.

1. Usually, overclocked performance doesn't scale very well. If you overclock 20%, you might get 5-8% performance increase. There are exceptions, obviously.

2. Using CoreTemp (or another program that can tell you individual core temps), keep all cores below 75ºC at all times. If it goes above...
Sorry buddy, I hate to be the one to tell you this...

You bought the wrong mainboard if you want to overclock. You've already reached the maximum of what that board is capable of.

The H67 chipset can only overclock +400MHz Turbo. That's what you have already done.

The P67 chipset can overclock to a maximum of 57x multiplier or whatever your particular CPU is capable of, whichever is lower. This is what you should have bought.

1. Usually, overclocked performance doesn't scale very well. If you overclock 20%, you might get 5-8% performance increase. There are exceptions, obviously.

2. Using CoreTemp (or another program that can tell you individual core temps), keep all cores below 75ºC at all times. If it goes above that, back the overclock down.

Solution

suntower

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Thought I replied to this. <scratches head>

Thanks for the info. My mobo has an automatic RMA since it was part of 'the recall' so perhaps I'll upgrade. But it's still pretty fast for my needs so I may just stick with it since it was such a good deal $$$-wise.

Learn something new every day.

Cheers!

---JC