system configuration utility window won't stay open

I'm trying to disable startup items by using the system
configuration utility, but the window only stays open for
about 15 seconds and then just closes on its own. I'm sure
a virus is messing up my computer, but I've tried numerous
things that are suggested by different help sites and
every window that I try to open (that might help solve my
problem) closes on its own. How do I get the window to
stay open so I can disable the file that's causing my
computer to run so badly??
3 answers Last reply
More about system configuration utility window stay open

    Try booting in SAFE mode . . .

    Greetings --

    The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
    one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

    W32.Klez
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html

    W32.Yaha
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.c@mm.html

    W32.Spybot.Worm
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

    Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the
    Spybot mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose
    definitions aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free
    on-line scanners to double-check your system.

    Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    McAfee Security - FreeScan
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Susan" <suebert1989@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to disable startup items by using the system
    > configuration utility, but the window only stays open for
    > about 15 seconds and then just closes on its own. I'm sure
    > a virus is messing up my computer, but I've tried numerous
    > things that are suggested by different help sites and
    > every window that I try to open (that might help solve my
    > problem) closes on its own. How do I get the window to
    > stay open so I can disable the file that's causing my
    > computer to run so badly??

    If Pro

    Type in Start Run

    cmd /k tasklist > "%userprofile%\desktop\tasklist.txt"

    This will create a file on your desktop called tasklist.txt. Post it's contents.

    If Home Type (this will work on pro)
    msinfo32 /categories +SWEnvRunningTasks /report "%userprofile%\desktop\msinfo.txt"

    This will create a file on your desktop called msinfo.txt. Post it's contents.

    http://www.smh.com.au/yoursay/2004/06/11/index.html
    "Susan" <suebert1989@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1bb0c01c450f0$341067c0$a101280a@phx.gbl...
    > I'm trying to disable startup items by using the system
    > configuration utility, but the window only stays open for
    > about 15 seconds and then just closes on its own. I'm sure
    > a virus is messing up my computer, but I've tried numerous
    > things that are suggested by different help sites and
    > every window that I try to open (that might help solve my
    > problem) closes on its own. How do I get the window to
    > stay open so I can disable the file that's causing my
    > computer to run so badly??

Configuration Microsoft Computers Windows XP