system configuration utility window won't stay open

June 12, 2004 11:43:26 PM

I'm trying to disable startup items by using the system
configuration utility, but the window only stays open for
about 15 seconds and then just closes on its own. I'm sure
a virus is messing up my computer, but I've tried numerous
things that are suggested by different help sites and
every window that I try to open (that might help solve my
problem) closes on its own. How do I get the window to
stay open so I can disable the file that's causing my
computer to run so badly??
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 12:07:38 AM

Try booting in SAFE mode . . .

Anonymous
June 13, 2004 12:04:37 PM

Greetings --

The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

W32.Klez
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

W32.Yaha
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

W32.Spybot.Worm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the
Spybot mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose
definitions aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free
on-line scanners to double-check your system.

Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

McAfee Security - FreeScan
http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Susan" <suebert1989@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to disable startup items by using the system
> configuration utility, but the window only stays open for
> about 15 seconds and then just closes on its own. I'm sure
> a virus is messing up my computer, but I've tried numerous
> things that are suggested by different help sites and
> every window that I try to open (that might help solve my
> problem) closes on its own. How do I get the window to
> stay open so I can disable the file that's causing my
> computer to run so badly??
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 5:09:06 PM

If Pro

Type in Start Run

cmd /k tasklist > "%userprofile%\desktop\tasklist.txt"

This will create a file on your desktop called tasklist.txt. Post it's contents.

If Home Type (this will work on pro)
msinfo32 /categories +SWEnvRunningTasks /report "%userprofile%\desktop\msinfo.txt"

This will create a file on your desktop called msinfo.txt. Post it's contents.

http://www.smh.com.au/yoursay/2004/06/11/index.html
!