Sign in with
Your question

Increased i7 temperatures on all cores

Last response: in Overclocking
March 12, 2011 2:04:52 AM

I will try to make this as concise as possible, as I received a lot of help on these boards back in May/June 10' when I built my system and I don't want to be asking the same questions.

Today I noticed that my temperatures on my i7 930 have increased. I've been nervous about heal related issues for the past couple weeks.

My system:
i7 930 oc'd to 4.0ghz
Corsair H50 cooling
gtx 480 gpu
asus p6x58d premium
antec 900 case
windows 7 home

Overclock settings:
1.25v
182 bclk

When I built my system and overclocked it, I was getting low 50c's ambient and 80-81c prime95. I was not getting much lower temps when the cpu was not overclocked. To try and get the temperatures in the mid 70s, I purchased two Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fans and installed them on the Corsair H50 radiator. I set them up as intake so they would pull cool air in from the back. I tried switching from exhaust to intake on the radiator fans and found the temperatures to be lower on intake.

The side fan on the antec 900 case is on exhaust on high. The two front fans are on intake. The top large fan is on exhaust. I was hoping that the side fan would take out some of the hot air from the GPU and power supply located at the bottom, and that the two front fans would be able to pull some cool air in the top of the interior.

So today I noticed that my temps were reaching the high 70s and 80c while playing FFXIV (this game is a system hog and it usually runs around the high sixties to mid seventies.) I tried to stress test on prime95 and my temps were hitting 84c after three or so minutes of testing. Suffice to say, I stopped stress testing and have not loading any other games until I figure this out.

I'm unsure what I should do at this point. The fans I had purchased didn't make any difference to the temperatures. They run at 1800 rpms.

I don't want to keep buying fans and hoping that temperatures will change. I'm on a limited budget right now while I'm in college and I can't afford a new cpu fan.

I guess my main question is: If you had a system like this with the current temperatures, what would you do?

I guess a potential solution to this would be to stop over clocking the system, but if I remember right the temps weren't that much lower than when I oc'd it to over 4.0ghz.

If you need any more information on my system I would be happy to provide it. Thanks for the help! :) 
a b K Overclocking
March 12, 2011 3:14:31 AM

I would start by experimenting with fan arrangements some more to see if you can find another arrangement that works better. My next idea would be to try to lower your voltages (obviously you'd have to test for stability) in conjunction with a slight reduction in your overclock from 4Ghz to let's say 3.8-3.6Ghz. To me that's the option that will reduce your temps the most without requiring you to have to go out and get a different heatsink.

Another thing to do would be to reapply thermal paste using a better quality paste, making sure that it is properly applied, although I'm not sure that would make much of a difference.
m
l
March 14, 2011 4:10:33 AM

jprahman said:
I would start by experimenting with fan arrangements some more to see if you can find another arrangement that works better. My next idea would be to try to lower your voltages (obviously you'd have to test for stability) in conjunction with a slight reduction in your overclock from 4Ghz to let's say 3.8-3.6Ghz. To me that's the option that will reduce your temps the most without requiring you to have to go out and get a different heatsink.

Another thing to do would be to reapply thermal paste using a better quality paste, making sure that it is properly applied, although I'm not sure that would make much of a difference.

I think I've decided to just go ahead and buy a new heat sink. I live in AZ and will not have AC this summer, so I think having a good heat sink might be worth the investment. I put on BF2 on today and temps were spiking to 86c.

I'll try changing some fan arrangements, but when I did that in may I feel like I switched them in every direction possible. I will probably lower the over clock down to 3.8 or 3.6 as you recommended. Though my cpu voltage is 1.25v which already seems pretty low for the speeds I'm getting.
m
l
March 19, 2011 12:24:17 PM

86c seems pretty high for an H50 with such a mild voltage. Are you absolutely sure it's making good contact? How are you determining your temps, btw? I've pushed 1.4v with an H50 while still keeping temps relatively safe.
m
l
!