New i7 randomly shuts down

gumi

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I just got my new i7 920cpu, OCZ gold 1600 ddr3 ram and EVGA x58 3way sli mobo.
I used to have a gateway, I stole the HDD and dvd player and a non stock 550w BFG power supply out of the old pc and put everything into a new case.
I have everything set up and installed properly (checked 3 times before turning it on) I start it up. I can get it to boot up into cmos and windows but it seems to randomly shut off on me.
I checked the systems tempuratures and the only thing that I wasnt sure about was my CPU temp checking in at 84c.
That seemed a little high to me but I havnt built my own pc since I was 12 and made a 286 out of old parts, so as you might guess my knowledge in these things is a bit lacking.

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Yes 84c at idle is way too high. Looks like you're overheating. Are you running the stock intel HSF? If so, I would double check the pushpin installation. It's almost certainly a heatsink mounting issue.

gumi

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Ya there is a thin layer of grey goop on it.
I refastened it and it seems to have stopped
Its reinstalling all my drivers again so I'm going to wait for that then recheck my cmos temp thing again and see if that lowered it.
What should the temp normally be?

gumi

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Another question while I have your ear.
Since its a new mobo cpu etc. do I have to buy windows agian?
I'm going to reuse my old mobo and CPU but with a different HDD/PSU/DVD player.
Can I reinstall vista and keep the same license I had before?

gumi

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Wow after reinstalling the fan properly its down to 30c, that made a huge difference.
Thanks guys