Sign in with
Your question

Will this PSU work?

Last response: in Components
August 16, 2009 5:45:21 PM

i was reading a article on power supplies here, and i notice that it stated "take note: Dell is notorious for using proprietary power supplies and motherboards that are not interchangeable with standard ATX equipment! If you install an incompatible product in your machine, you could damage your components. Don't say we didn't warn you"

so dose that mean i can not replace the power supply in my inspiron 530 to what would most likely be this one http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

if its any help my motherboard model is 0RY007

More about : psu work

a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2009 6:03:31 PM

Because Dell has OEM cases, the size and pin (as in screws) are different for the PSU and motherboard.

Mind listing full specs?
m
l
August 16, 2009 6:18:42 PM

oh, ok, well ur saying that the motherboard also has special places for screws and all, so if i get a new case i would need to drill holes in the case to put in the motherboard

full specs r 8600 gt (which i intend to upgrade to at least a GTX 260 or 275) a 300 W PSU (i gave the link to the 750 W Corsair i intend to upgrade to),E6550 @ 2.33GHz (i might upgrade but in the future), two 1 GB ram DIMMS Dual Channel DDR2 ram @ 667 MHz 2 GB total (which i would like to upgrade to 4 GB @ 800 MHz) 2 optical drives (one CD burner and reads DVDs , the second a DVD burner of course it also reads CDs), and 500 GB 7200 RPM Hitachi HDD, if its any difference i also have a ATI Theater 650 PRO Combo Analog/Digital TV tuner and a 13 in 1 card reader
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2009 10:34:09 PM

Quote:
oh, ok, well ur saying that the motherboard also has special places for screws and all, so if i get a new case i would need to drill holes in the case to put in the motherboard

That was the case with the older Dell boards.

Depending on budget, you could swap out the case (a cheap $30-40 case will do), grab a new ATX board (less than $115) transfer all of the HDDs,etc to new case and OC the CPU/GPU.
m
l
August 16, 2009 10:38:04 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:

That was the case with the older Dell boards.

Depending on budget, you could swap out the case (a cheap $30-40 case will do), grab a new ATX board (less than $115) transfer all of the HDDs,etc to new case and OC the CPU/GPU.

ya, that is what i was thinking and looking into, but if i don't need a new motherboard, then i wont get one, that and i have the OEM copy of vista (which i will update to windows 7) and so it requires the dell bios, now idk if that only checked in the install or if it will not work once i swap out the motherboard, that and if i updated to windows 7 (with a vista upgrade disc) then will i be good with a new motherboard? or woudl i need to buy a full version of windows 7?
m
l
August 16, 2009 10:39:29 PM

that and the motherboard i found which is still rather cheap is this one http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product... and i spent time looking because of the audio code, and they were all older ones or ones i don't know, and this oen is actually the same code as the one i have now, and i can't complain (its the ALC888)
m
l
a c 85 ) Power supply
a c 95 V Motherboard
August 16, 2009 10:46:40 PM

Dell hasn't used special PSUs for awhile. They all now follow the ATX specs, at least electrically. They do use special sizes, but that can be overcome by drilling new holes. I wouldn't swap in a new board, your OS won't be able to be used.
m
l
August 16, 2009 10:50:14 PM

4745454b said:
Dell hasn't used special PSUs for awhile. They all now follow the ATX specs, at least electrically. They do use special sizes, but that can be overcome by drilling new holes. I wouldn't swap in a new board, your OS won't be able to be used.

yeah, that was my worry, its jsut that i have a inspiron 530, theirs not much room to drill holes for a new PSU, so i would need to buy a new case, which im fine with and might be best cuz i want to put in those big graphics cards, just that if i do that, ur saying i will also need drill new holes in the case for my motherboard? cuz that sounds easy and all, its just when ur actually doing it to make sure u get everything aligned and placed just right it can be hard
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2009 10:59:59 PM

^(No offense) but case modding isn't easy just as you thought. I probably killed 4-5 practice cases (cheap rosewill cases I picked up for like $10) before I managed to get line ups,etc right.

Quote:
I wouldn't swap in a new board, your OS won't be able to be used.

Totally forgot that. Yeas, OEM won't load on a different board. However, OP can grab Win 7 RC1 or RTM.
m
l
August 16, 2009 11:02:10 PM

well, im using the windows 7 RC now, so temporarily anyways, i would be able to use that, but im also considering waiting till usb 3.0 is out, and i would proffer to jsut get a upgrade to 7 instead of the full copy
m
l
a c 85 ) Power supply
a c 95 V Motherboard
August 17, 2009 3:49:12 AM

No, you should be able to move the Dell mobo into a new case. AFAIK they are normal ATX boards. You might have a BTX board, so make sure the case can handle that if you have one. The holes should line up, and you'd be able to use a normal sized PSU.

m
l
August 17, 2009 4:19:39 AM

ok, from what i have seen on the web now thx to google is that the motherboard i have, (the 0ry007) is a mATX motherboard, and so it will work with the cases im looking at, and i will need to change the case because dell dose use a weird size of power supply and it will not work in the 530 case, so i will go for a new cheap case, though im not sure if i will have the money to get both a new power supply and case at the same time, so i would need to use the current psu in the new cases i guess, or buy the case and then get PSU latter, cuz putting dells weird psu in the new case might not work out good, at least not without modding. though the only thing i noticed online that seems to concern me, is the new psu, i have noticed ppl being nervous about a new psu with worries of frying the system, so i would a answer that can show me that wont happend
m
l
a c 85 ) Power supply
a c 95 V Motherboard
August 17, 2009 9:41:33 AM

Again, electrically the Dells use normal ATX parts. Their cases and PSUs might be an odd size, but they will work with normal parts. I'd get the case now, and find some way to keep using the Dell PSU.
m
l
!