Problem with harddrive

Nels84

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Hey i put together my first computer the other day. Its telling me no disk drive at boot up. I went into bios and there are to options to boot from the cd drive or a satasomething, I cant remmber what the words after sata were. I booted from cddrive to install windows. then when it was done i used the other drive i was thinking maybe it was the hardrive, the satasomething one only other option there then the cddrive to boot from. I guess i was supposed to do something to get the motherboard to reconize the drive before i install windows7? Anyway, The computer is up and running and windows and everything is installed. But everytime i boot the computer up it says no disk drive, But my harddive is working.

This hard drive is a retail version so it did come with a cd with drivers etc should i have installed this before installed windows? Is it to late for the computer to recognize the diskdrive if i put the cd in now? Would it be best to uninstall everything and uninstall windows and put the cd in before windows so the motherboard detects the
harddrive? The weird thing is everything is up and running and im saving stuff to the harddrive, but at boot its telling me no disk drive or would that be a floppy?

Did the motherboard detect that there was something in the sata drive? but didn't know what it was and that is why it worked in the first place? Sorry if you are confused im confused somewhat also.

This is a single harddrive on a new built pc

thanks hope you can help

Nels84

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

i already did that i dont think you understand what im trying to say

Nels84

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Sorry i think i meant to say start up the computer normaly it says that before windows starts. Like not bios but the part it shows you stats and whats working correctly.

The stats screen is part of the bios detecting hardware and showing resources. So, if I understand you correctly, the bios doesn't show the drive on start up, but then proceeds to boot normally?

What OS are you using? What are your system specs? Also, do you have the same problem when the SATA ports are set to either IDE or AHCI?