Sign in with
Your question

Wireless router just wired

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 26, 2009 6:10:06 PM

Hi all,
Just a quick question, i have a netgear wireless router but i only want a wired network. I have my pc and a xbox 360 but i dont want either of them on a wireless network, can i just use it as a wired router without the wireless being set up so no one else can access my network, im not sure about all this as i have never had a router before.

Any information would be great.

Thanks

More about : wireless router wired

Anonymous
December 26, 2009 6:20:22 PM

Just disable the wireless network.
December 26, 2009 6:22:14 PM

Grumpy9117,
thanks for the quick reply, so it is as simple as that.

Thanks for the help.
Related resources
December 26, 2009 11:17:37 PM

Hi all,
I have had a look and the only way i can disable the wireless network is to go on to routerlogin, but i have tried for hours and i can set my username and password but when i go to login into my router it wont let me.

Does anyone know any information on this, the wireless router is netgear wgr614

Thanks
December 26, 2009 11:35:51 PM

Hi all sorted all the default details are through virgin broadband

Thanks
January 2, 2010 4:47:48 PM

Just to make sure you understand what you did... Did somebody tell you they remotely logged on your router to turn off your wifi..? If thats the case, I hope it isn't Its kinda dangerous to allow your router to accept admin connections remotely.. even wirelessly!

Google your manufacturers information... Log into your router, see if it has a spot to directly turn off wifi.. If not, turn on MAc filtering, and leave it blank.. Set a password for WPA2 strength you won't forget, and then make sure you look for the spot to turn off remote admin or wireless admin.. You can easily allow somebody to hack your router right now if you don't have these things on..!
February 10, 2011 4:31:04 PM

no its fine mate it had a box to turn off the wifi through my connections i wont ever give anyone my login detail and it is all secure. thanks for the advise tho
September 1, 2011 6:58:39 PM

is it possible to set up the wired network only without ever having to go through the wireless portion of the router?
September 3, 2011 7:18:57 AM

^Yes, just plug cable in and fire away. But I really think you should start a new thread.
!