Sign in with
Your question

Asus motherboard BIOS problem HELP NEEDED ASAP

Last response: in Motherboards
October 31, 2009 3:29:06 PM

I hvae a brand new kit with the ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS motherboard. Yesterday while installing Win XP, the formatting of the hard drive went ok, but after that, when the actual installation started, a general epic failure happened to happened, screen went to blue with a message of MEMORY_EXCEPTION or something of the kind. And from then on the BIOS started in a series of erratical mistakes. Now the mistakes have stabilized in the following one:

When boting there is no POST, no DEL-or-another-key hitting option, and after 1 or 2 seconds a message appears saying

Boot Block Compatible Version Ver.031
Please do NOT insert any disc into CD-ROM or Floppy drive
if you want to recovery with an USB device.
Bad BIOS checksum. Starting BIOS Recovery...
Checking for floppy...
Floppy not found!
Checking for CD-ROM...
CD-ROM not found!
Checking for USB-Device...
USB-Device not found!

and so on ad-infinitum.

The point is the following. I downloaded the latest BIOS from ASUS website, renamed the file to P5KPLAMP.ROM, burned it ina CD: same thing didin't worked.

Then I Disconected the CD, the HDD, and copied the BIOS to an empty USB pendrive. It was kind of recognized cause the following happened:

Boot Block Compatible Version Ver.031
Please do NOT insert any disc into CD-ROM or Floppy drive
if you want to recovery with an USB device.
Bad BIOS checksum. Starting BIOS Recovery...
Checking for floppy...
Floppy not found!
Checking for CD-ROM...
CD-ROM not found!
Checking for USB-Device...
USB-Device found.
Reading file "P5KPLAMP.COM".

But it stays stand by in that reading status for hours and hours, nothing happens!!!! It could stay there reading for ever.

Any idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help me as soon as possible. Thanks all you guys in advance!

a c 435 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 1, 2009 6:28:50 PM

I would disconnect all hardrive and optical drives again, but leave the keyboard installed. With the system off, try removing the board battery, and reinstall after about one minute. Use just one stick of memory; if the system posts normally, then go into the bios and change the boot order to cd (dvd), hardrive, and disable all other boot options, save and exit. Shut it off, reconnect just one optical and one hardrive, and try installing windows again. You may have one bad stick of memory or a bad memory slot. All you need is one good stick of memory to install windows; after that, you can add the others one by one until you get bluescreens again. If you decide to update the bios later, you may have to disable "boot block" if you have this option in the bios. Forget about changing the bios for now. Next time you get bluescreens, don't assume you need a new bios program. It may be just one bad stick of memory. If the screen stays the same, then you can probably order a new bios stick from asus, or try an rma and give them about 3 weeks to send you a refurbished board. With rma's, they may send you 3 used boards that have passed their tests before bothering to send you a new one. There's almost no room in board pricing for rma costs, and many problems are operator related. I'm not pointing fingers; I went through 4 boards from msi one time before they sent me a brand new board with a different chipset, and the only problem was one bad memory stick. I didn't know about memtest or simple diagnostic procedures, and wasted msi's time and about 5 weeks on rma's. Back then it was only $6 to send a board by fedex ground; now it's at least twice as much.
!