GA-MA785GM-US2H IDE ATA/ATAPI controller problem

vinnycr2

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I just installed this board a few days ago. 1st with a clean install of Vista and then a clean install of Windows XP (Xp being the current operating system). The latest chipset drivers from Gigabyte were the 1st thing that I installed with each clean install of Windows.

Everything device in Device manager has the correct manufacturer name as the current driver except for the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller with both installs of each chipset drivers for each version of Windows. There are 2 standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers listed with microsoft as the provider and a date of 07/01/2001.

Gigabyte support has been pretty much useless to this point telling me to do what I already told them I did. I don't see a folder that I can manually try to install them from. Very frustrating.

Vinny

vinnycr2

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
What I mean is when you look at all the motherboard devices in device manager they all have a name by the manufacturer of the device. The drive controller is using the microsoft supplied driver and not the manafacturer supplied driver. This is after I ran the chipset driver installation.

EX:
Display adapter
ATI Radeon HD4200

IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller
Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Network Adapters
Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Eithernet NIC

Shouldn't there be a name under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller heading other than 2 standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controllers.

My other desktop computer has Nvidia serial ATA controller under this heading and the one I replaced that was also a NVIDIA had the same thing.

I just took a look at My kids laptop which is also an AMD ATI chipset and it has 2 standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controllers under IDE ATA/ATAPI controller heading.

Not sure if this is the form for AMD ATI chipsets using microsoft supplied drivers for the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller. I'm just familiar with seeing something other than standard under IDE ATA/ATAPI controller heading.

Vinny

bilbat

Splendid
If you're talking about this:
0136x.jpg

the lack of a manufacturer's identifier simply means that it's being serviced by a 'native' MS win driver... These are added all the time, meaning they no longer require a third-party driver to be 'tacked on' to your install...

vinnycr2

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
The comnputer is running fine. I just like to make sure everything is working with the proper and most efficient drivers available.

The first thing I always do after a new install is make sure that there are no flags in device manager and everything is up to date with drivers.

Thank you for your time.

Upgraded from an ECS Nforce3-A board with an AMD athlon 64 3500+ with 1 GB ddr ram to this board with a Sempron 140 unlocked to dual core and 2 GB DDR2 ram. A whole lot faster, quieter and cooler running.

Vinny

bilbat

Splendid
If it's working - you're good! A huge number of drivers have made the transition to 'native' in the past nine months or so - mostly because of the preparation for the transition to seven; MS figured out that they shot themselves in the foot pretty good with the whole Vista driver debacle, and swore they'd do it right, this time! I read somewhere (but don't know if I can really believe it - it's just mind-boggling) that they WHQL certified over a million device drivers during the ramp up and beta for windows seven...