[Help] friend's display is not functioning properly

evomunk

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
as i'm typing this post, my friend, and i are trying to fix his computer that is not running properly. he's saying that his display is messed up as in blue lines running down the screen. also, this occurs while running safe mode. but the colors are running normally. he's running at the smallest resolution, and if he goes any higher the screen turns black. as of right now he is running windows normally at lowest resolution, and he also got these error messages:

c:\windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll

c:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll

c:\windows\system32\nvsvc64.dll (apparently a virus/worm/trojan)

when he boots up the computer, and the boot screen appears; the display is also screwed up. could it be his graphics card or is drivers? or maybe a virus/worm/trojan?

Friend's Computer Specs:

Asus P5K Deluxe (MOBO)
EVGA 8800 Ultra
Intel Quad Core P35 Chipset
4GB RAM
Corsair 600-700W
Windows Vista 64 bit

Dustpuppy

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Nv*.*.dll's are nvidias drivers.

Blue lines or patterned apparitions that don't change generally means bad video ram. If it were a monitor problem it'd be accompanied by something else. If this is the case then he'll need a new graphics card. Try googling for a program to test for bad video memory, and try not to get infected with adware while doing so.

Now you say the boot screen? You mean the one with the motherboards logo (POST) or the windows boot screen? If it's ocurring during post then I'm not certain at all what's wrong. Regardless, have him download and run driver sweeper then re-install his graphics driver if he hasn't already tried installing it after running DS.

evomunk

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
he downloaded driver sweeper, and is running windows normally, but at a low resolution. he's afraid to make it any bigger, which may cause the screen to turn black again. now he is losing disk space for now reason. he's just sitting there watching his disk space get eaten away. but then it stopped, and he has regained half a GB. also, he is running 2009 kaspersky internet security, and it has detected alerts with MS office (word, excel, etc.) , divx, and real player

Dustpuppy

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Well I took kapersky off my fathers computer a week or so ago. It was causing catalyst control center to crash and locking the rig up periodically.