Ram Settings?

heycoa

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Hi all,

I am a little new to Ram timings, voltages, and frequency and I had what may be a noob question.
I just built my very own gaming computer and picked up GSkillz ram. It is 1600MHz, and the timing is 7-8-7-24, stock voltage is 1.65. Now this works just fine in my computer, however this ram is also stable in my computer at 1800MHz with timings of 9-9-9-24 and a voltage of 1.65. I was just wondering which setting would give me better performance in my PC for playing games and such. Also I am curious of what voltage would be considered too high for this ram.

Thanks for the help!

Solution
The voltage depends on the CPU. If it's a Core i-something, then you need to stay at or below 1.65v or you could damage the CPU. If you break it and Intel tests the CPU and find that it died because of non-specification voltages, the warranty is null and void.

If it's an AMD processor, then you don't have to worry. You can go higher than 1.65v, but the only way to tell if your RAM can handle higher speed, timings, and voltage is to try it. Personally, I would limit the voltage to 1.8v or less.

That's also the best way to find out which performs better -- try it with games and see which gives the best frame rates.
The voltage depends on the CPU. If it's a Core i-something, then you need to stay at or below 1.65v or you could damage the CPU. If you break it and Intel tests the CPU and find that it died because of non-specification voltages, the warranty is null and void.

If it's an AMD processor, then you don't have to worry. You can go higher than 1.65v, but the only way to tell if your RAM can handle higher speed, timings, and voltage is to try it. Personally, I would limit the voltage to 1.8v or less.

That's also the best way to find out which performs better -- try it with games and see which gives the best frame rates.

Solution

heycoa

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
hey thanks for the prompt reply!

I have an AMD processor. Its okay for me to bring it up to 1.8v or so? right now its about 1.66v, and my cpu is at like 1.45..which brings me to another question. If my cpu (Phenom II X6 1090t) is overclocked to 4.0 GHz, what should the voltage be set to? like I said it is about 1.45 or 1.46. would it be wise to raise that?

Thanks Again!

TRENDING THREADS