Sign in with
Your question

High temps running Prime95

Last response: in Overclocking
March 13, 2011 1:59:42 PM

I am new at this and justbought my first gaming rig from a guy. I was reading about overclocking and downloaded some of the necessary software like Prime95. I ran the torture test and my temps went from 48c to 90+ in less than a minute so I shut it down. Is this normal? My setting on the processor are still stock.

CPU- i7 950
MOBO- EVGA X58 SLI3
a c 183 K Overclocking
March 13, 2011 2:11:47 PM

That's really high an aftermarket heatsink is in order.
m
l
March 13, 2011 2:17:43 PM

It has one.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2011 2:25:28 PM

If it has an aftermarket heatsink, then it's not installed correctly or has no thermal compound or something. There's no way it should be getting that hot at stock speed.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2011 4:08:18 PM

is the cooler branded? if so post its name.
as above have said, thermal paste needs to be checked and applied, good branded stuff like arctic coolings mx-3 compound is great. (cheap 2 at 5-7 pounds)
also was thermal management (enabled) in bios, if so turn it off so your cpu fan can run at max rpm off the bat.
also while in bios check that its set at default settings by loading the optimized defaults.
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
March 17, 2011 8:02:38 AM

Once you start running at high overclocks or high loads (let alone both), your case choice also becomes really important. The best cooler in the world will not help if you are not moving enough air through the case.
m
l
!