Sign in with
Your question

2TB WD Caviar Green HDD and HP M8300f problems

Last response: in Storage
January 5, 2011 6:41:24 PM

I use my stock HP M8300f as a media server w/quite a few movie and music files between 3 HDDs (2x1TB WD Caviar Green drives and 1x1.5TB Samsung). I recently bought a 2TB WD Caviar Green (model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN) and cannot, for the life of me, get this HDD to work. I've completely removed any other HDD, as well as their corresponding SATA cables, installed the new 2TB WD drive, and when I attempt to load the software from my restore disks, I always get an error 0x4001100200001005. From what I can find searching Google on this error, it points to bad install media, BUT these disks worked just fine installing on a 1TB WD Caviar Green drive, so I know the disks are good.
Can anyone offer some help on this?
a b G Storage
January 5, 2011 8:00:16 PM

Was the 2TB drive detected by the BIOS?
m
l
January 6, 2011 8:44:56 AM

The same happened with my hard drives 2 TB Caviar Green. I use two of them one year ago in raid 0 for a week and i get the same errors. I installed finally the operating system on them and i get so many blue screens with errors 0x000.......After many, many tests and questions i found the answer, must be use only for storage, not to install the operating system or any other software to run on them. So, I use them only for storage which working very well and in the same tine i buy another two hard drives, but 2TB Black Caviar which you never can compare with Green Caviar. So my advise is to sell them or to use as storage and buy Black Caviar. Please, replay me after you made this change.
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2011 5:41:37 PM

If you are using windows xp that might be your problem windows xp 32 bit can't see anything over 2 tb so that might be causing the errors with your raid need to upgrade to windows 7 32 or 64 bit. Are you trying to do ant kind of raid with theses?
m
l
January 7, 2011 8:36:40 AM

I tested on all operating systems 32&64 bits, except Linux and Mac and for all was the same errors. Specially was more worst on windows 7. I tested physically, so I'm not telling you stupidity's.
m
l
January 7, 2011 8:46:16 AM

Just tray to borrow for a week from someone else two hard drives or just one Western Digital Black Caviar, make the test and you will find the error answers. Good luck.
m
l
January 7, 2011 8:54:53 AM

I tested on all operating systems 32&64 bits, except Linux and Mac and for all was the same errors. Specially was more worst on windows 7. I tested physically, so I'm not telling you stupidity's.
m
l
January 8, 2011 1:05:59 PM

Sorry for my delay in checking back with this thread. First, thank you all for your responses so far; my problem continues.
I should mention, since this computer is completely stock (other than the HDDs and a Blu-Ray drive), the OS is Vista Home Premium.
Yes, the drive is recognized in the BIOS as a 2TB drive, but does not show up in Explorer or My Computer. I am not using any drives in any sort of RAID setup; simply plugging in the drives and using them as storage drives.
m
l
January 8, 2011 1:15:11 PM

Even if use a simply plugging the problems will continues. Please, replay me when you solve the problem if you don't mind.Keep in touch.Good luck.
m
l
January 16, 2011 10:53:24 PM

Well, I ended up just taking it back, for a second time. The second one wouldn't format past 54%, so I give up. I'm having so much trouble lately w/my Vista machine, it's not even funny (ok, maybe not A LOT of problems, but the main thing I use it for...media server, is utterly unusable now. For some reason, the sharing stopped and neither of my PS3s can see the media server anymore, and I have a failing main HDD).
m
l
!