Sign in with
Your question

V8700 for gaming or two cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2009 7:49:32 AM

I don’t find any good charts showing this card up against the ATI/Nvida gaming lineup. Does anyone have some figures on this issue?

And, if this card performs poor on gaming, would it be possible to put in a gaming card in the pc and use that for gaming? :-p

This article show some figures for the Card, but not up against a gaming card:
http://hothardware.com/Articles/ATI-FirePro-V8700-Works...

T

More about : v8700 gaming cards

June 3, 2009 8:38:31 AM

Those cards are identical to gaming cards except

A. Drivers are optimized for workstation apps
B. More memory
C. Expensive

They will perform worse in games than their consumer counterparts generally due to the driver optimizations.

eta: that card is the counter part to the Radeon 4870.
June 3, 2009 8:44:35 AM

Hi, I understod that from my google responses on the issue, but have not yet found out how much worse.
It also looks like the new FirePro cards do better gaming performance than the former FireGl cards. Still no good figures to analyze.

The link I posted shows to test result:
3DMark06 - Default Benchmark - 1280 x 1024 = 14639
Crysis GPU Benchmark - 1280 x 1024 = 55.93

How will this compare to gaming cards and which card(s) has similar results?
Related resources
June 3, 2009 12:39:13 PM

If you're ready to drop $1500 on cards like these then gaming performance should not be anywhere near your brain in that decision.

Assuming you're building one rig anyway you could just toss a V5700 in it and build a separate phenom II based rig with a GTX 295 for a little less money than you're planning on spending on one card.

As to the second part of your question, it is probably not possible though I can't say for certain. It varies from mobo to mobo, but if you run in single card configuration it must be in a specific PCI-E slot. Since you'll have two cards then when you switch cards one will be in the wrong slot and cause your mobo to go ape. So you're going to need to read up on the motherboard. If you manage to find one that will permit it, then you will need to make sure to get graphics chips from the same company as that could be another source of problems with conflicting drivers.
June 3, 2009 1:07:08 PM

Hi and thanks for answer, I agree the card was probably not well considered when ordered :) 
I ordered a Dell Precision T5500 and there was no "gaming" card available for configuration so I ended up with this... Did not even look at the price different only that I would not have the recomended 256mb card. This was done a bit quick when fed up with my current pc :) 

Not sure I completly undertod second part, but I do think that one of the cards is dominant as when Im not running in crossfire mode today the game appear on one of the monitors connected to the card in slot 1. Guess that's master card...

Btw this is the configuration I ended up on:

Precision T5500 : Standard Mini-Tower (Vertical orientation) with Firewire Included
Processor : One Intel Xeon E5530(2.40GHz,5.86GT/s,8MB,QC)-Memory runs at 1066MHz
Memory : 12GB (3x4GB) 1066MHz DDR3 ECC-RDIMM Requires 64 Bit OS
Hard Drive : 300 GB (15000RPM) SAS
Additional Hard Drive : 2 X 300GB (15000RPM) SAS
Raid Controller : PERC6i Internal Controller Card PCIe x8
Raid Controller Tower Only : C23 All SAS Hard Drives, RAID 5 (Striping with Parity) for 3 Hard Drive
Optical Drive : 16XDVD+/RW Drive and 16XDVD+/RW Drive
Graphics : 1GB Ati FirePro V8700 - 2 DP, 1 DVI (1 DP-DVI, 1 DVI-VGA adapter)(MGRA16HB)
Audio : Creative SoundBlaster X-fi Titanium PCIe Music card
Operating System : English Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 Recovery CD not included

So unless anyone can give me a comparison on the benchmark / how that sounds I guess I've to wait 3 more weeks and find out myself....
!