bunion

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Hi, I am having trouble installing Vista on a machine, really would appreciate some help.

This is the current situation, im trying to install vista, HDD is formatted with NTFS.

I inserted Vista installation DVD, booted from the dvd drive and i get this error when i try to proceed with installation or run the memory diagnostic test:

windows boot manager

windows has experienced a problem communicating with an i./o device connected to your computer

Error : 0xc00000e9

The RAM has been swapped with spare to check its not the RAM.

The DVD drive has been swapped with one that is definitely working in another computer.

The Hard drive has been tested in another machine, read fine, and i ran disk checker and formatted it with NTFS. There are no USB drives plugged into the machine or other peripherals.

I have tried removing the graphics card and using the on-board graphics, but the onboard graphics goes in to a mode in terms of HZ that the monitor cant handle after the first startup screen. (presuming its not a graphics card problem anyway since i get display ok)

Bootable Linux : Knoppix 5.1 bootable CD, runs and loads to the desktop fine!

The machine was absolutely fine, running XP Home SP3, 512mb ram and a P4 2.4 Ghz, with a radeon 7500 64mb ram in the AGP slot. Apart from being a little slow, it just generally needed a wipe clean.

I wanted to upgrade the RAM to 2gb and install Vista. (I know this will run ok, I have vista working on a slightly slower machine, this machine is only used for internet and email)

I installed the RAM, backed up everything, and put the Vista Dvd in to go ahead with installation. The machine just wouldnt boot from the DVD, I put the correct boot order in the bios etc. Eventually I let XP start and discovered that the DVD Cd rw combo drive was not reading DVD disks for some reason. It was just showing the disk to be blank in windows explorer and making retarded noises, when trying to read a DVD. (Same noises when trying to boot from DVD) Anyway got a DVD drive thats tested and working in another machine now, and it seems to be working ok.

The 1 HDD is showing as the primary master and the replacement DVD drive is showing as Secondary master like they should be. Separate IDE channels/cables.

I have put the old ram back into the machine incase its that.

Thanks if anyone can help!

It sure sounds like your DVD drive was broken. You could boot from a CD, which means the 780 nm CD-reading laser works, most of the drive's circuitry works, your IDE cable is fine, and the motherboard's IDE controller works. However, it showed the Vista DVD as blank and your problem was fixed when you used a known good replacement DVD drive. That pretty much narrows it down to the DVD reading capability of the old drive, which if your drive can read CDs, means it's most likely the little 650 nm DVD-reading laser diode or some circuitry in the drive that is specific for reading DVDs that's dead.

Fortunately the fix is easy- just go get yourself another DVD drive. They're pretty cheap and just about any electronics shop has them. Just beware that some new drives are Serial ATA rather than IDE and your machine may or may not have SATA ports. Also, don't pay more than about $40 for one, else you're getting ripped off.

bunion

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for your reply. Sorry tried to make it clear, I still have the problem, with the working replacement drive! Cant install vista, getting the

windows boot manager

windows has experienced a problem communicating with an i./o device connected to your computer

Error : 0xc00000e9

error.

bunion

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
I have managed to get past the original error, but of course there is still a problem :(

I changed 'IDE DMA transfer access' to enabled in the bios, which fixed it.

Now I have a tested formatted hard drive, tested RAM, and tested DVD drive but vista still wont install.

Thanks daship, I have tried putting them on the same channel now but to no avail. When it boots up I see that the HDD is the primary master and the DVD is its slave. Also tried different cable.

I have tried 3 different copies of Vista because I learnt that the speed you burn it can effect things.

First copy:
Boots from DVD,
Windows is loading files...
Initial Installation Screen loads, I select keyboard layout etc, but when I press Next on the product key activation screen i get the error:

Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim Make sure all files ..... restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007000D.

Second Copy:
Same as above but the error comes just as it begins to copy files.

Third copy:
Same as first copy but different error, when extracting the files after information collected. Error says files are corrupt please restart installation.

The original has been installed successfully on another system.

I have thought about installing from a usb HDD/Flash drive but none available. Would it make a difference anyway?

In the Vista setup process with a copy that gets far enough there is an option to load a driver for the HDD. Its a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB PATA133 and I cannot find a driver disk / files anywhere online. It works anyway, well the Windows is loading files... seems to work in Dos, i can format it in the initial part of setup so I think its ok.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to whats causing this?

Thanks very much

bunion

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Sorry correction:

I said I fixed the problem by, 'I changed 'IDE DMA transfer access' to enabled in the bios, which fixed it.' This is wrong,

I have 2 different copies of Vista ultimate, this error is still occurring when I try the on with SP1 integrated.

The SP2 integrated copy gets past this error.

bunion

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Is there a way I could copy and or extract the Vista disk to the hard drive I want to install to itself? Then boot from it?

Maybe your SP1 disk is defective? I have had disks that were defective before, especially if they were burned at home.

bunion

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
The SP1 disk is the one that has been tested and verified in another machine. I installed vista with it on this computer.

I have installed Win XP PRO now, in the hope that perhaps an upgrade install of vista would work. XP installed absolutely fine.
Vista upgrade didn't I just got corrupted or missing files error in the middle of extracting files.

Now I have another copy from a different source image, and it still doesn't work! It is a SP2 integrated version. I tried a fresh install, had to format the copy of XP I had just installed, and it says corrupt or missing files as well! Bear in mind this disk was burnt on another computer (a new laptop), from a different disk image I downloaded.

So far I have tried:

Disk 1: Vista SP1 (tested + works on this machine)

Disk 2: Vista SP2

Disk 3: Vista SP2 another source image.

Windows XP installed fine, knoppix bootable loads up, all components apart from MB tested, WTF?!

bunion

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
I have just burnt a copy of Knoppix bootable CD to a DVD and it runs fine, to ultra check the disk drive is ok with reading dvds.