Phenom X3 720 or X4 940?

Ok. The price difference is only about $50 or so... but how much performance difference?

I mean.. The only thing is I could get the 720 with mobo quicker than the 940. If there is not really that big of a difference, I will save the money and get the 720.. which will allow me to get the Radeon 4890 quicker.

To get the 940.. I would just wait 2 weeks for next paycheck and get it.. but if its not that big of a deal, I would like to save $50.

Would it be worth it to wait another 2 weeks to get 940?

And to make this clear... I want this to be a nice gaming rig. I currently have Athlon 64 2800 with Radeon 9700 Pro.. so I am making a huge jump no matter what. I don't plan on doing video editing or anything like that.. I just like to play games and browse the net. The Radeon 4890 is a definite though.
8 answers Last reply
More about phenom
  1. If you can wait another two weeks I would say the 940, It will last you longer than the 720 because of that one extra core. If you want something that will last 1-2 years go ahead and take the 720. Buying two 4770s will give you extra performance for ~$30 cheaper than a 4890.
  2. Hmm.. very interesting. I need to find some benchmarks for this.

Getting the right parts is so annoying.. lol. Especially when you have a few weeks to make these decisions. You go from day to day changing what you want. One day I want X mobo.. the next I want Y.. same goes for everything else.
  3. Ok... Looking at benchmarks.. I am definitely going with 2 4770s.

The mobo I plan on getting is this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138130

I like having built-in video just in case something every goes down.. and it seems like a decent mobo. I am not huge into overclocking or anything.. so I just need something that does its job. That would work well with that mobo?? Crossfiring that is? (Edit: Neermind... I see that its not supported. So I will go find a new mobo now.. Probably back to the Gigabyte area)
  4. I can't help you with the mobo problem, Honestly thats one of the two things I know almost nothing about. I do know that the GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P is a nice one, but no onboard video.
  5. Now that I go back and really look.. it does support crossfire. I am an idiot lol. It just doesn't come with a crossfire bridge?? Not sure what that is. I am new to crossfire.

moose, do you have 2 4770s??

If so.. how do you feel about em?
  6. I'm actually running on an old Dell Dimension 1100. I just ordered my CM 690 a few days ago and it should be here soon, Ready for me to mod. I will actually be going the i7 route because my PCs last a long time, and by July the price on everything will have dropped.

From what I've read about 4770s in crossfire, They do very well with low temps.
  7. ^ unless you get an ASUS TOP card and put the voltage to max and OC to the max, then you get temps in the 70-90C area.
  8. sanders4617 said:
    Now that I go back and really look.. it does support crossfire. I am an idiot lol. It just doesn't come with a crossfire bridge?? Not sure what that is. I am new to crossfire.

moose, do you have 2 4770s??

If so.. how do you feel about em?

A crossfire bridge is what links your two graphics cards I'm pretty sure you need one to crossfire..
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Phenom Systems Product